cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot recover single Items in Exchange at random times

AASchneider
Level 3
We have been using Backup Exec 11d to backup Exchange 2003 servers for a while.  Months ago, we installed the new agents for Exchange and were able to successfully recover single items on both Exchange Servers we are backing up.  After about a month we noticed that on one of the servers we were unable to recover single items even though no settings had changed and the backups have been completing successfully.

This issue went away after rebooting the Exchange server for scheduled maintenance, but then the same issue started happening on our second Exchange server.  The issue seems to happen randomly on multiple servers.  When I select restore on the server I can only select items down to the database level and cannot even see the single mailboxes in the database. 

Anyone else having similar issues?

Thanks,

Anthony
13 REPLIES 13

Matt69
Level 3
I have a similar problem. Backup Exec 11d, Exchange 2003 on a cluster. All was going well until the end of Sepetember. Backups were working fine and we could restore single items.

I went to restore and item last week and found there were no mailboxes available for restore. The backups have been reporting success and the amount of data backed up has been increasing gradually as I'd expect but the restore wizard shows 0KB of data available under the message store and no mailboxes.

Help!!

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Well for both of you guys, first thing I need to check is that you are on the latest version and latest patch levels.  So make sure you are on rev 7170 and atleast up to SP1.

AASchneider
Level 3
Thanks for the reply blipsey.  I had been running rev. 7170 SP1 for about a week.  This morning I installed hotfixes 17-21 and ran a test Exchange backup.  I still do not see single items in any storage group on one Exchange backend, but see single items in all storage groups on a second backend server.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Anthony S.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Anthony,

Are your backups running to disk or to tape?  Also, just because I have to ask, you did update the remote agents after installing SP1 correct?

AASchneider
Level 3
Well thanks for asking it looks like not all agents have been updated.  I updated the agent on the Exchange Server and performed another test and it now looks like it is working.

Thanks,

Anthony S.

Matt69
Level 3
DOH!! That was it. Service Packed the media server but hadn't updated the remote agents. Did so and it works fine now. Thanks for the help Smiley Very Happy

Calder_Chung
Level 4
Dear ALL,

I just know to run Live Update in Backup server, so how to update the remote agent ?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
The easiest way to update the remote agents is to just push them out again.  Tools -> Install Remote Agents

Calder_Chung
Level 4
Do I need to uninstall the Exchange agent from the server first ?
And how can I check the version of the agent in remote server?

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
You do not need to uninstall the existing agent.
You can check the currently installed agent versions by viewing a selection list (new or existing, it doesn't matter), then right-clicking the server in question and selecting properties.

Calder_Chung
Level 4
I still can't restore the single email from the Exchange backup,
I have update the status and have screen capture in another post, can you check ?

Many thanks!

AASchneider
Level 3
Well after updating the remote agents and rebooting the single item recovery worked again for about 2 weeks. I checked again today and saw that I cannot recover single items on one of my backend servers again even though the backups have not been failing.

I guess I will open a support ticket tomorrow.

aharlor
Not applicable
I am running the same version, used the same methods, and I'm still having the same problem.  Please post the results from the ticket.