cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot restore DDS-3 tape in DAT72 drive

j_mcc99
Not applicable
Hi all,

I'm having an issue with recoving old data stored on DDS-3 tapes on our newer DAT72 drive. The old tapes were backed up using BE10d and we are currently using BE11d. From what I've read it should be possible to recover data from these older DDS-3 tapes on our newer drive regardless of whether or not the catalog files still exist (I believe they do not). I can successfully inventory a tape but the catalog option is never enabled/available. It's not a bad tape, I've tried several and have hundreds to choose from. They always worked fine in the past on our DDS-3 drive. Would somebody please help me with a solution to recoving data from one of these old tapes... I'm having no luck whatsoever.

Thank you!
1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
says 
"DAT72 tape drives are read and write compatible with DDS3 and DDS4 tape cartridges."
"Read compatibility with DDS3 and DDS4 media provides great investment protection"

Were these tapes created with Hardware Compression?  It's been a while but I had problems once trying to restore tapes create on a DLT-15 drive on a DLT-35 drive due to differences in the HW compression algorithms

(they were even both COMPAQ drives! Smiley Surprised )

other than that, can't think of any reason that a catalog would fail if the inventory is successful