Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot restore Exchange mailbox via Backup Exec 12.5

NikiSa
Level 4

Hello All,

Enviromant: Backup Exec12.5 + Exchange 2007

I want to restore some lost email in a user's mailbox, and the backup media located on the local drive (not on tape, it should be more easily buy i still fail on restore), please give some idea / hints help me to fix >< Many Thanks! 

I've read & follow this article: http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backu... but still fail to restore and error msg as below:

"Restore- \\XXX\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group V-79-57344-65280 - Unable to restore the selected Microsoft Exchange databases because one or more of the storage group's databases are mounted.  Use the Exchange System Manager to dismount all the databases for the storage group 'First Storage Group', and then retry the job."

And aslo i want to know that whether exchange restore will restore data straight into user's mailbox only??

if i  restore user's  whole mailbox which backup at 2014/10/20, do it means that after i restore, i will lost email from  2014/10/21 - today, so i need to archive these day email first?? 

if i restore user some serveral email only, it should not infect other emails, should it ? 

Thanks so much~~ 

Niki

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

NikiSa
Level 4

Hello All,

I can restore the email already !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When i restore the incremental backup, i need to follow CraigV's article to backup again and restore (it must prepare enough disk size for the whole DB storage staging), it will use long time to restore but it can success. But if i restore Full backup, only need to restore directly and faster. Thus, i think i will be change all db backup to full backup.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Niki,

Are you trying to restore into an RSG? If so, read below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64713&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

Otherwise did you backup Exchange with AOFO enabled?

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

See if this KB helps - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64607

NikiSa
Level 4

Since we haven't RSG before >< i will try it ASAP

and may i know how can i check the AOFO option ??

Thanks!

CraigV

...open your job and go to the Advanced Open File Option section. See if it is checked or not.

Thanks!

NikiSa
Level 4

Hello CraigV,

the AOFO is disabled, if i need enable it? Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

Nopes, AOFO is to be preferably disabled for Exchange backups.

NikiSa
Level 4

Hello All,

Just a silly question, if i do not use RSG backup, do it mean that i must dismounted the database to perform the backup ???  

CraigV

No, if you're using the Exchange agent, you can do backups and restores while the IS is live.

Thanks!

NikiSa
Level 4

Hello VJware,

I've check the below setting but no any improvment ><  

NikiSa
Level 4

Hello CraigV,

Many Thanks!

Thus, do u think that i only can try RSG for restore the lost email, any other way i can try / test? thanks! 

CraigV

No, you don't need an RSG. I've done online restores into Exchange 2003 using BE 12.5 before, no hassles. And this was from tape, and then I went the route of duplicating to disk.

That's maybe an option to try...although your backups are on disk, try duplicating to another location on disk, and then try the restore from there:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

The steps should be the same, although this was written for BE 2010...

Thanks!

NikiSa
Level 4

Dear CraigV,

Many Thanks! 

I will try this, may i ask why i need to prepare the disk space which >= exchange db size although i just need to restore single mailbox / servel email, thanks!!! 

CraigV

...it's just a test. Although your backups are on disk and don't require staging, duplicate to disk again and see if you can restore...

Thanks!

NikiSa
Level 4

Hello CraigV, 

I have followed ur article to perform the backup, it can be backup to disk but also fail in restore, the byte count is ruuning but fail after 20 seconds.. error as below

Final error: 0xe000ff00 - Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted or because the Recovery Storage Group is not properly configured. Use the Exchange System Manager to check the configuration of the Recovery Storage Group and the mount status of the databases.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65280

when i restore directly , the error shown as:

final error: 0xe00084b7 - A backup set was created which contains no data. See the job log for details.
Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33975

I've check the above error, and also recreate the system logon account, the same error occur.   Orz

VJware
Level 6

Would recommend to log a formal support case, else if you prefer to do so, enable debugging per http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124453 and pls upload screenshot of the restore settings and restore selections along with the debug logs.

NikiSa
Level 4

Hello All,

Thanks for your big support, today i try to restore anthoer backup and it can success to restore.

Then i discover that the backup file which i want to restore some lost email from a user is an "incremental backup" , and today i try to restore is "FULL backup". @@  

I'm not clear whether i cannot restore an incremental backup and the user's loss email only store in this incremental backup... how can i change this inc-backup to full backup??!

Thanks!

Niki

CraigV

...all you need to do is to select the date from which you want to restore, and ensure the tape is available. No need to select a specific type of backup.

Thanks!

NikiSa
Level 4

Hello CraigV,

I have select the date i want to restore, but when i select the backup at 20141020 which run as incremental  backup, it fails, and when i select the date 20141026 full backup it can success...to restore.

Whether i miss any file in the incremental backup? 

and if i backup exchange mailbox as inc, do it means that if the use receive /send any new email, the user's mailbox is change. then this user will run inc backup, do the inc backup perform a full mailbox backup ? (or only the new email backup?)

Thanks!   

NikiSa
Level 4

Hello All,

I can restore the email already !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When i restore the incremental backup, i need to follow CraigV's article to backup again and restore (it must prepare enough disk size for the whole DB storage staging), it will use long time to restore but it can success. But if i restore Full backup, only need to restore directly and faster. Thus, i think i will be change all db backup to full backup.