cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot restore SQl database from veritas

Matt_Olbrych
Level 2
We are running SQL 2000 sp4, only one user database (SAP) the database is 63 GB.
The ldf files were trashed so I went to tape to restore.
We are using veritas backup exec 9.1 sp4. Veritas is on the same server. I can restore the master db and the msdb fine. However when we attempt to restore the DEV db it runs for 2 hours and then fails with a communication error from veritas.
When we restore the master the DEV db comes up suspect as there are no files for it to attach to) so we cannot attach to it to restore, so I have deleted it and attempted to restore - same communication error. I have recreated a db named DEV with the mdf etc created to the size needed plus some to be sure, no good same behavior (behavior described below).
The job starts and it creates all the folders for the database (there are 1 MDF, 5 NDF, and 4 LDF files each in its own folder). Then it begins to create teh individual files it gets ~half way through at about an hour-hour and fifteen. During this time there are a large number of writes being performed by SQL (I assume it is creating the structures). Then it switches over to reading from tape a large number of read by beengine for another 45-1.5 hours then the job fails with the error unable to communicate with the device. I ahve noticed that once it starts reading from tape the db is gone from enterprise manager, and the mdf etc. files that were being created are now gone.

Help this has gone on for three days!!!
3 REPLIES 3

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
In some large SQL DB restores, communication gets dropped using the default VDI communication. Try setting the following registry setting to 1 on your Backup Exec media server: HKLM: Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\SQL Server\Force Named Pipes Backup/Restore. This will change the communication method for restore from VDI to Named Pipes. Once the restore is complete, you can change the setting back to 0.

Russ

Matt_Olbrych
Level 2
Will try this as soon as the current job fails. I am running in debug mode with the SGmon running to try and figure this out. Almost done at 2 hours!!

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue...

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.