cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot restore exchange mailbox of a deleted user

lbm_
Level 2
Partner
I am trying to restore a mailbox of a deleted user. (Deleted from the AD as well).
The restore starts, and gets a "Current Operation" Status with staging.

After this (The staging takes abuot 35 minutes, 200+GB of data staged), I get an error that the ressource is not found, but the exchange, and the mailbox store are online!
Do I need to restore the AD object first, or is this not needed? I've have checked the "Automatically recreate user accounts andmailboxes"... (Not sure if I use this function correctly though).

The error:
"The job failed with the following error: Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource."

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lbm_
Level 2
Partner

Solved by making the user that ran the backup job member of the administrators group in the AD and mail enabled the user!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Instead would be good idea to perform a redirect restore to some test mailbox ...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

When staging, by default it stages to C:\Temp. You would need as much free space in that location as your Information Store is big...ie:

Information Store = 70GB in size ==> C:\ needs to have 70GB+ free to stage

It will ALWAYS stage to disk. THere are a couple of ways around this. You can change that temporary staging area (Tools --> Options --> Exchange) to a drive with enough space, or you can look at duplicating that backup set to disk FIRST, before running the restore. This way, there is no searching on the tape for the location of the IS, or halfway through a restore from tape, running into an error causing you to start it all over again.
Read the article below that I wrote last year on how to duplicate to disk, and restore from that. if it helps, let us know...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-usi...

Laters!

lbm_
Level 2
Partner

Solved by making the user that ran the backup job member of the administrators group in the AD and mail enabled the user!