cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot select drives on Win2k3 R2 server

John_Zolnowski
Level 2
I am running BE 10.0.5520 Sp3 installed on server and all remote agents updated. I am currenlty backing up 3 Netware and 7 Windows 2003 servers. I just setup a new Win2k3 R2 Standard server. The remote agent failed to install with the rpc not available error. I manually installed as instructed and rebooted the server. I verified the agent is running. When I look at the selection list for this server and click properties it says the agent is installed under both areas in the properties but the staus and version still says unknown. I verified version 10.0.5520 is running on the remote server. In the selection list I cannot see any drive letters except c$ which is greyed out. The license for the remote agent is installed on the BE server and is working fine for the other 7 servers. What can I do to troubleshoot this further? Is there a limit on the licnese? I did purchase 13 total licenses but I'm only using 10. Please let me know what else I can try. I was able to install teh agent remotely on all my other servers, is this a sympton that I cannot on this one? Thank you for any help.

John Z.
3 REPLIES 3

John_Zolnowski
Level 2
I have answered my own question from an older post. It was very hard to find. The remote agent install done locally instructions should be updated to include checking the host file on the BE server. Adding an entry for the remote server in the host file fixed this issue for me. Now the agent reports the version and will let me select the drives. Please update the instructions as this may save users a lot of time. I spent the better part of today reading through the forums for this.

John Z.

S_L_2
Level 4
John:

Do you really think they are going to update the instructions? 10d is not sold anymore and neither is the support pack. I know how you feel, one time I spent hours looking for something only to find it described in bad english vocabulary somewhere in the middle of the 1400 page Administrator Guide.

-S

Jeffery_Bradber
Not applicable
Thanks for your post! It helped me so much!

I was experiencing the same problem as you and modifying the host file would have fixed it for me. Instead I put the proper domain name suffixes in the DNS search list for unqualified host names (My backup server and production network servers are under different domain names).

I'm taking a guess here, but it looks like Backup Exec uses Windows networking to list the servers, then turns around and does an unqualified DNS lookup to get the IP address.