cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant do Differential backup since my FULL always shows fail. But it completes

SUSAIT
Level 3
Just started trying to do a differential backup to save time. I'm up to 3 tapes and I thought it would be wise to do a bi-weekly full and a weekly Diff. Well this won’t work since my FULL always shows errors. Like "remote agent couldn’t start or Folder/file location not found. I know the job is successful because it has a bazillion files processed and I've ran a test restore on random files. This job is for a NAS box that I call Storage. It's just a network share that we use for misc project files and data. I don’t think 11d likes going across the network for this job, but it seems to work. I have seen a registry fix that lets you make all jobs successful. Is this what I need to do to get around a failed FULL so the DIFF will work? thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Well this won’t work since my FULL always shows errors

To the best of my knowledge, DIFF will not look at the success or failure of any preceeding jobs

What a DIFF does is look at the Archive Bit (unless you are trying to use Modified Time).  It the Bit is set (that is, if the file has changed since the last FULL or INCR) the file is backed up, but the Bit is left alone.  (An INCR would do the same check, but reset the bit after the file is backed up)

SUSAIT
Level 3
Not sure then, The Diff job took as long as the FULL. I was trying to cut down the time and tapes used. I know we arent accessing that many files so the job should really fit on 1 tape. thanks for the reply

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Are you using DIFF/Archive bit or Diff/Modified time?  If the latter, then you MUST use the same selection list for the FULL  and associated DIFFs or INCRs

SUSAIT
Level 3
DIFF/Archive bit