cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cascaded drive pools in Backup Exec 2010?

Colinspl
Level 2

Hi,

We have two HP Ultrium 3 - SCSI LTO drives that i would like to add to a cascaded device pool in Backup Exec 2010.

I have added them to a device pool, but they don't seem to cascade over to the next once the first tape is full. (it prompts for the tape to be changed)

We were able to cascede these two drives using Backup Exec 11d, but not since upgrading..

Does anyone know how i would go about configuring them?

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Cascaded Drive Pools were marked as End-of-life for the BE 2010 release and as such are no longer an option - I am not 100% sure of the reasons why this was removed from the product, however your choices would now seem to be split your jobs so that some data targets one drive and some another, or invest in a small library that can hold more than one tape.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver

Cascaded Drive Pools were marked as End-of-life for the BE 2010 release and as such are no longer an option - I am not 100% sure of the reasons why this was removed from the product, however your choices would now seem to be split your jobs so that some data targets one drive and some another, or invest in a small library that can hold more than one tape.

Colinspl
Level 2
Thanks Colin,

That is pretty much what I have come up with from my research, but wanted to confirm it (or better yet, prove it wrong!)..

It's a bit disapointing that it has been removed from 2010 though..

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You can register your dis-appointment in the Ideas area (from the top tool bar)

if enough people join in, they may add this back in an SP, maybe

ByronHPull
Level 2
Partner
I am confused why cascading drive pools are still shown on the BES, if they are not supported.

That is worse than silly!

Colin_Weaver
Bes