cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Backup Strategy

dalge
Level 3
In our environment, we have just upgraded our Exchange Server from 2003 to 2010. Based on our lack of research or ignorance, we did not realize that Backup Exec 2010 would not backup 2010 unless we have 64 bit OS. Based on this, I implemented this backup options: I created a Windows 2008 R2 64 on our ESX server with a 1 TB of space besides the boot disk for backup to disk folder. We will backup this backup-to-disk folder using Backup Exec 2010 that is running on our media server with tape drive, and is 32 bit hardware and running Windows 2003 Standard.

Because we do not have unlimited disk space, what are our best options. Is there a way to automate the removal of the backups as they are being backed up (archive job perhaps??). Will this cause issues with the B2D folder? Are there any other options available to us?

I hope we can purchase a 64 bit server next year to use as a media server, but there is no room in the budget for this year, so this is the best option that I can think of.

Thank you,

David Alge
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Because we do not have unlimited disk space, what are our best options. Is there a way to automate the removal of the backups as they are being backed up (archive job perhaps??).

The best solution is obviously a new server.

Until that happens, from Tools\Optopns\media management, set the option to "Use Overwriteable Media in the Target Media Set before scratch medie"   Then set the OPP for your media set to whatever suits your requirements.  If you want to keep backups online for a week, then set the media set properties to 6 days

The only problem with this approach is that you will need to stage the bkf files back to disk, before restoring data from them

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

From your description it looks like Windows 2008 R2 inside you ESX server is running as a media server but with only disk storage and that you intend to back the B2D location up with tape on another media server - this is a bad idea.

Symantec Stongly recommends that Data sets in Backup to disk folders should be backed up using duplication jobs - but duplication jobs have to run on the original media server - however presenting a tape device into a virtual Backup Exec media server is not supported (mainly because it is not supported by Vmware themselves. Note: There is  apossibility that an iSCSI based library might work inisde a virtual server.

Duplication jobs are needed because of the way that media use is recorded against B2D based media as the older media is overwritten. If you just backup the files in teh B2D location, you could end up putting yourself in a situation where to restore from one of your older data sets you have to start with a completely empty Backup Exec database - which means you would either:
1) need to understand (on your virtual media server) how to protect your current database and files , how to empty the database and catalogs and then how to bring your old media back from your second server and get Backup Exec to recognize them.
or
2) need to be able to build a new Backup Exec server with an empty DB just for when you need to restore

If instead you backup your Exchange server to disk (which is easier for manging GRT) and then have a tape drive on that media server too - then you have options to restore direct from tape from the duplicated set if needed too.

As such I agree best option is a new media server.