cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Fails on Old Media

geldridge
Level 3

I am having a hard time getting a catalog of some old tapes to complete.  I have three DLT IV tapes in total containing old exchange data.  I load the full tape and can perform the inventory without issue.  I then perform a catalog with the following settings: Unchecked both "Request all media in the sequence for catalog operations" and uchecked (Use storage-based catalogs).  I have actually tried all variations of these.

The catalog runs and I can see it reading the tape as it is displaying the mailboxes in the status area.  After two hours and 38.2GB later it throws an error:

Job ended: Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 3:58:50 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0000900 - The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-2304

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Catalog- \\CORREO\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes 

The media operation was terminated.

Catalog

V-79-57344-33861 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

I have tried recreating the catalogs folder, ran the BEUtility to set the media operations to prompt (I actually never get prompted to change tapes).  Getting a little frustrated as it cannot be this difficult to read an old tape.  I see the data I want when it is cataloging it, I just can't get it off the tape!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Grant

P.S.:  I opened a case as well but I am running out of time.

3 REPLIES 3

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Grant,

Click on Drives, under that select the tape, right click on it and click on restore data. Does it show the restore information, if it does the data can be restored if it doesn't then try below steps.

Go to media tab and move the media to retired media and delete the medias you are trying to restore data from. Once deleted try inventory and cataloging again.

If still no luck try

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35390

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Click on Drives, under that select the tape, right click on it and click on restore data. Does it show the restore information,

BE 2012 does not allow you to do this.

geldridge
Level 3

Hi Sazz,

Thanks for the assistance.  Pkh is correct in that the option to right click the  media and initiate a restore is not available in BE2012.  I did try removing the media as you suggested and re-cataloging but with the same results.

The symantec article on re-indexing the on-disk catalogs did not help either.  I suspected as much though becuased based on the error message it sounds like it is throwing out the data for catalog when the error occurs.

Thanks for the suggestions though the help is much appreciated.