cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Jobs do not run

Sean_Donnelly
Level 4
I am running BE 10 with a Exabyte VXA-2 Autoloader 1x10. When I go to Exabyte and click on say Slot1 and we'll call it tape1 I choose catalog. It loads the tape, but eventually comes back with the message "Please insert media 'tape4' into the robotic library using the import command." Why tape4 when I am trying to catalog tape1? Am I just completely misunderstanding what is being done here? Also with my 10 available slots 8 show up in black, and then two slots are highlighted in blue, does that mean something? Any insight is greatly appreciated.Message was edited by:
Sean Donnelly
2 REPLIES 2

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
When a backup spans multiple tapes, the first few data blocks on the tape indicate what sequence number the current tape is (tape #2, #3, etc.) of the overall backup job.
During a catalog operation, it wants to start with tape #1 and go through the whole series until it reaches the end of the sequence. So in your case, "Tape 4" is the first tape used in the backup.

I don't believe the MTF (Microsoft Tape Format) actually annotates on tape the previous tape labels (labels like 'Tape4') used in the backup; which makes me think that you don't need to catalog this tape. To verify this, can you right-mouse click on the tapeand choose "Restore". Does it come back with an error stating the media has not been cataloged, or does it display a restore file selection?

The tapes highlighted in blue indicate media that is overwriteable.

Sean_Donnelly
Level 4
ray,

you are correct it shows a list of available servers and folders that are available to backup. With that being said I actually do not need to catalog these, and I was not aware of that. Thank you for your time and assistance!

Sean