cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog creation fails

Ara_Avvali
Level 3
Hi
I appreciate any help on this. My setup is windows 2003 sp1 with version 10 having exchange agent installed. I have 4 USB drives and I used the pre made policy to do a full back up on Sunday night and incremental on every night.
Takes 4 weeks to do a full cycle (Have 4 USB drives) and on Monday I burn the last full back up files from USB to DVD and format the drive so could be used for next time.
Now I have to a restore and due to fact that catalogs are automatically deleted after 90 days, there is no catalog for my 5 month old DVD. So I copied the DVD files into hard drive and made a new back up to disk drive pointing to that folder. I do the scan and inventory and then it shows the list of files ( 1GB each ). So I right click on all of them and say catalog. But it fails saying that

Error category : Backup Media Errors
Error : e000810d - Physical Volume Library Media not found.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33037

I tried what that article says regarding un checking the box in catalog menu and restarting veritas service but still I am not able to create a catalog of my files.

What am I doing wrong?
Any help is greatly appreciated
7 REPLIES 7

Ara_Avvali
Level 3
I just noticed that on page 146 it says
You should not delete or edit the changer.cfg or folder.cfg files.
This file are deleted every time I format the external usb drive. Does this mean I can't restore the data?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer the following technote which talks about the same error that you are getting:

"Physical Volume Library Media not found" (a000810d HEX or e000810d HEX) is reported when attempting a catalog or a restore operation
http://support.veritas.com/docs/190820

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ara_Avvali
Level 3
Hi
Thank you for reply. But as I stated in my first post, I have gone through this already with no luck. Even rebooting the server and changing the catalog directory didn’t help. What is the next step?
Thanks

Ara_Avvali
Level 3
I restarted the server and this time some new errors!
I made a flash screen shot of all my actions. Please download and extarct to watch. What am I doing wrong?
Thank you
http://www.bossaudio.com/ara/veritas.zip

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Cool. How can I make one of these?

I think if you change your restore sequence to creating a new empty Backup2disk folder, then dragging the restored BKF files into it, and performing an inventory it will eliminate the Physical volume library not found error.

Rename your existing \Catalog folder to \Catalog_old; create a new \Catalog folder.. Stop/start services.

Goto the media tab and verify the restored BKF files do not exist in the all media list. If they do, move them to the retired media set and then delete them.

Now your system is fresh of any incomplete cataloging operations.

Perform another B2D folder inventory. sort the BKF files by date within the devices tab.. Each backup set should follow a continuous timeline. Right-mouse click the oldest file only and select catalog. It should work. If the job fails, try the next oldest file in a continuous timeline (media set).

Ara_Avvali
Level 3
Thank you very much for reply back. I am going to try these steps on Monday. One thing I am not sure about is the fact if backup exec is capable of building catalog with missing sequences. My understanding is even if something is missing it should be still able to build catalog based on what ever is available. As example if you have 10 files being backed up in 2 backup files as 1 GB. Then if you loose file #1, it should be able to build catalog for files 1-5, right?

By the way I made that flash demo with captivate. There are some other programs that are able to do it. Makes the explanation much easier
http://macromedia.com/software/captivate/?promoid=BINN

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please update us on the issue after you have had time to execute the steps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.