cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog error in BE 11d with tapes from BE 9.1

Laurence
Level 2
Environment:
Currently running Backup Exec Small Business Server 11D build 7170 SP2. HW Sony AIT-3 Tape Drive
Unable to catalog tapes that were created in Backup Exec 9.1 SBS rev 4691 SP5, HW Sony AIT-2 Tape Drive

Problems:
Can inventory tape successfully. When attempt to catalog will receive the e0000900 error ref: V79-57344-2304
- Ran uncheck "use storage media" re-inventoried, and catalog failed
- Renamed the catalog folder in program files\symantec ... restart BE services and attempt to catalog failed.

Actions:
Submitted VXGen and SGMon logs to tech support and was promptly told that 11d catalog was not backwards compatible with 9.1.  I don't fully believe that to be the case.  I thought that if both used MTF then it should catalog and be able to restore.

Please advise ASAP.  My customer has 5 years worth of data from 9.1 that has to be available in 11d

Thank you,

Laurence
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
was promptly told that 11d catalog was not backwards compatible with 9.1.

v11 should be able to read a tape created by v9.1, but v9 may very well not be able to read a tape created by v11

Sounds like the header is readable, but the data is not.  AIT-3 is supposed to be fully backward  compatible with AIT-2 created tapes.  Was hardware compression used to create the tapes?  I had problems reading DLT3000 tapes in a DLT7000 drive once upon a time, due to the differences in HW compression algorithms

I don't suppose that the AIT-2 drive is still available?  

Laurence
Level 2
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the response.  Yes AIT-3 is fully backward compatible with AIT-2.  Yes, The AIT-2 are present, and compression was used on the previous backups.  The inventory went OK, as mentioned in original thread.

I did have an available server to installed BE 9.1 w/SP5 on a Win2K3 Ent. Ed. server, attached the two daisy chained AIT-2's.  I was able to inventory, and catalog successfully, so I'm fairly confident that the tapes are functional at the 9.1 level. I wasn't able to do a restore of the desired Exchange mailbox to a redirected Exchange mailbox.  Error in 9.1 stated that it wasn't able to connect to drive.  (that's a separate issue)  Exchange lives on a separate Win2K3 SBS server. 

I might assume that there may be a bad "spot" on the tape.  The catalog fails at the same spot 29GB on the tape.  I wish there were a way to restore in 9.1 to a .pst file.  That would make my life a blessing. 

I might be able to daisy chain the two AIT-2's and AIT-3 on the same SCSI channel after non business hours.
But as is, my customer wanted those emails three days ago.  Need to find the quickest solution.

Much Appreciated.

Laurence

Message Edited by Laurence on 02-04-2008 02:58 PM