cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Skips files and doesn't report skipping them.

Level 2
Unfortunately after having a disk crash, I noticed that Backup Exec 11d was skipping backing up very important files and was not reporting that the files were skipped.  It does report some skipped files, .tmp and .log, for example. But I found it was skipping SQL database files and Exchange Information Store files.  These files were crucial to our systems and were checked to be backed up, yet the backups never occured and the system did not report skipping them.  I've had to rebuild systems from scratch due to this. Does anyone know what would cause it not to report that it skipped the backup of a file? 
1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Since v9.0, BackupExec has used what they call Active File Exclusion, to skip database files, assuming that since the database service is runing, they will be skipped anyway.  You should be using the appropriate Agent to get "hot" backups of MSSQL and Exchange (and Notes and Oracle as well)

if you want to shut down the database service and take a flat file backup, you need to disable AFE.