cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog logs on two locations

bastwin
Level 4
Hello, I am using Backup Exec 2010 R3. My local C drive is running low on diskspace. I noticed that catalog files are written to two locations: 1.) C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs 2.) C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs\[servername] Number one is causing me troubles because it contains a CatLog_[number].log file which grows very fast. In two weeks it grows from 0 to 30 GB! Number two isn't really big. The whole folder contains a small 2 GB of data. Settings: - Tool > options > Settings > Catalog: 'Use storage media-based catalogs'checked; 'Truncate catalogs after' set to 1 month; 'Catalog path' set to \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs When I start BEUtility.exe the option 'Change catalog location' is greyed out Please help me out. I don't understand what and why there is a huge Catalog file at location 1.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check that debug is not enabled.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH23853

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check that debug is not enabled.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH23853

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

Just to add to that I can't see that the document referenced by PKH actually mentions the registry keys for Catalog debugging:

HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Debug\Enabled

HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Debug\Verbose

Should both be set to 0 (which turns off the extra debugging)

Also if the catalog path cannot be changed in Beutility or inside the BE Admin Console, then as long as a CASO/MMS setup is not involved  you can change it via the registry

a) Stop the services, Move (or copy and then delete when happy) the existing Catalog folder to where you want it to be.

b) Then change

HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Misc\Catalog Path

c) Then start the services again.

bastwin
Level 4
Thank you pkh and Colin Weaver. Debug was enabled.