cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cataloging Tapes - BE2010

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

I am cataloging a set of tapes from our archives.  The tape set was all removed at the same time, so I am wondering why the catalog process is asking for multiple tapes from a prior backup set (one at a time, I might add).  The catalog job is currently running and I can see so far that the job has only processed the first tape in the set, but has asked for 3 other tapes not in the set.  I am worried that when the job finally gets to the next tape in the set, it is going to ask me for additional tapes not in the set and this is going to be a very lengthy process to catalog 6 tapes.  Also, since we recycle tapes on a bi-monthly basis, what happens if the catalog job asks for a tape that has already been erased/reused?   Is this the correct way to catalog tapes? I'd appreciate any comments.  I am going through this process because we lost our catalog file and didn't have a backup.

Background Info on our process:  We remove all tapes that are full on a weekly basis and label them with date and slot position.  Any empty tapes are left in the drive.  We are using an Exabyte LTO 1x7 2U unit.  

Thanks,

Linda

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Linda,

If a particular backup set has expanded to multiple tapes then after finishing the catalog job on one tape it will ask you to insert another tape.

To avoid this, On the Backup exec console go to tools and the options. Under settings select catalogs and uuncheck the option- Used storage based media catalogs and then run the catalogs on individual tapes.

Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

Hi Linda,

If a particular backup set has expanded to multiple tapes then after finishing the catalog job on one tape it will ask you to insert another tape.

To avoid this, On the Backup exec console go to tools and the options. Under settings select catalogs and uuncheck the option- Used storage based media catalogs and then run the catalogs on individual tapes.

Thanks

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

OK, thank you.  That will make my job much easier.

Linda

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

Linda,

If the above steps answer were questions or provide the information you are looking for then please mark that thread as solution.

Thanks

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

One last question, If I am taking out all of the full tapes on a weekly basis, why is the catloging process going back so far?  It has asked me for several tapes, when the Use storage based media catalogs option is checked.

I will mark this as solution shortly.

Thanks,

Linda

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

Linda,

It depends if those weekly full backups are taking 1 tape or more than one tape to complete the backups. Also when you right click a tape and run the catalog then it tries to backup all the backup sets on that tape. This mens even if your full backup took just one tape but another backup got appended to the same tape which continued on the 2nd tape.

Thanks

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

Ok, Rahul, thanks for all of your explanations,

Linda