Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalogs not updating. veritas backup exec 9.1

artdude
Level 2

I've noticed under Restore Job Properties, when I View by Media

I'm not seeing newly created media from my recently created backups

I tried to rebuild the catalog, but with no luck.

Should I clear out the old catalogs and start from scratch?

7 REPLIES 7

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Ensure date filter (beginning backed up date & ending backed up date) is not checked

artdude
Level 2

is that under the restore job properties?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I tried to rebuild the catalog, but with no luck.

What procedure did you use? 

Should I clear out the old catalogs and start from scratch?

if all wlse fails that should at least let you go forward.  But remember that if you catalog and inventory old Tapes or BKF files, they will NOT have associated media sets or OPP/APP dates

artdude
Level 2

Attached is a pic of the back up restore window.

The last media created shown in the list was 1/25/2012, but my last back up was 2/7/2012

artdude
Level 2

This technique

. Stop the Backup Exec services

2. Rename the Catalogs folder to anything other than "Catalogs". The default location for this folder is: \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs (See Note 1)

3. Start the Backup Exec services (an empty Catalogs folder will be created automatically)

4. Launch Backup Exec and verify the there are no restore selections by clicking on the restore button.

5. Stop the Backup Exec services

6. Delete the empty catalogs folder that was automatically created in step 3

7. Rename the original Catalogs folder back to "Catalogs"

8. Start the Backup Exec services

9. Verify withTask Manager that the process:bengine.exe has 0% CPU utilization before proceeding so that Backup Exec can complete the re-index process (See Note 2)

10. Launch Backup Exec and verify that the restore selections are showing up properly

Note 1 : The path to the \Catalogs folder can be verified within the Backup Exec GUI by clicking on the dropdown menu items: Tools | Options | Catalogs.

Note 2 : During the re-index process bengine.exe will utilize a large percent of CPU possibly up to 100%. The time it takes to complete the re-index depends on the number and size of the catalog files.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

That should have worked (you could also have used catrebuildindex -r as mentioned in

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH142684 )

If you have the date range set correctly I don't know what else to try to correct the problem

As you asked in your original post, you can create a new \Catalogs foldler and things should be OK from now on