cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Existing B2D Path

FORGIVEN
Level 4

Testing BE 2014 on 2008R2. Our existing NAS is almost out of space and we now have a new NAS just for B2D. So what i was thinking i could do is edit the existing jobs to reflect the new path. Now we have something like: \\nas\Backup\<title>\servername

I thought i could edit the existing path to this: \\nas1\Backup\<title>\servername but it does not look like this is possible. Can someone tell me if this is possible and if so, how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Leaving the existing backup sets on the old NAS will not affect your ability to restore from them.  How the jobs are presently targeted have no bearing on your ability to use the old backup sets.  You can leave them there until they expire or duplicate them to the new NAS which might increase their retention.

There is no need to start all over again.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You do not specify the path in the job.  The path is only used when you define the disk storage.  You use the new path to define the disk storage on the new NAS.  In your jobs, you just need to point the jobs to the new disk storage.

FORGIVEN
Level 4

I understand and have recreated the folder(s). Now how do i move the exiting backups onto the new NAS correctly?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

On the storage tab, click on the existing disk storage then right-click on each disk storage and select duplicate to duplicate them on the disk storage.

It might be easier to just let them expire and let DLM delete them.  Once all the backup sets in the old disk storage is deleted, you can then delete the disk storage.

FORGIVEN
Level 4

How long does it take to expire? We only have 5 servers with 2 backups per server. I dont have a duplicate option when i right click the storage.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Right-clicking the storage does not display the Duplicate option. Double-click on the old storage and click on Backup Sets on the left pane. On the right-side, select the appropriate backups sets and Duplicate option will be available on a right-click.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

How long before they expire would depend on how long you set their retention.  It is in your job setting.

You got to click on the backup sets to duplicate them.  To duplicate multiple backup sets, see my blog below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/be-2012-duplicating-multiple-backup-sets

FORGIVEN
Level 4

Great post on duplicating however, i have already deleted the "old" storage locations when i added the new location. Should i just delete the jobs and sets and start all over or is there another way to do this? We only have about 10 jobs (full and incremental on 5 servers).

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think you can just readd the old storage and your backup sets will be back. I am not sure of this so please wait for a TA or Symantec employee to confirm this.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What do you want to do? If you want your old disk storage and their contents back then you can define them again on the console. Provided you have not physically deleted the. BEDATA directory on the disk, you can then inventory and catalog the disk storage to get back the old backup sets If you just want to forget about the old disk storage then you just target your jobs to the new disk storage and move on. In either case you need to retarget your jobs

FORGIVEN
Level 4

I wanted to move the jobs and backups off to a new NAS as the other NAS was running out of space. So, i if i just forget about the old storage space and retarget the jobs to the new storage space, how will this affect the restore. Seems to me a restore would fail because some of the backups are on the old storage and the jobs are now set for the new storage. I did not delete the sets when i retargeted the jobs. i have read not to copy the backups to the new storage but to duplicate them. at this point, i think it is better to delete the jobs, sets, old storage and backups and just start over. What is the correct way to do this?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Leaving the existing backup sets on the old NAS will not affect your ability to restore from them.  How the jobs are presently targeted have no bearing on your ability to use the old backup sets.  You can leave them there until they expire or duplicate them to the new NAS which might increase their retention.

There is no need to start all over again.