cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the CPS Server

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
We are retiring an existing CPS server and installing a new one. I dont have a problem with re-downloading the data again, but how do you point existing CPS clients/agents to a new CPS server?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
Anyone with any ideas on this?

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
Seems CPS is not a very popular discussion here :)

Roger_Sager
Level 4
G'day Corey...

I don't know if the following will be any help or just cause problems, but here goes...

The first thing I would do is stop all the CPA remote server services (using the Tools> CPS Services...). Then to preserve the MS user privileges to their files on the CMS/CPS server, using MS NTBACKUP to take a full copy of each backup destination area (BDA) into a specific named file to be used later to restore to the new server. This will save heaps of time in the resync process later.

For each remote CPA server (being protected by the new CMS/CPS server), there is a registry key found at > My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\ENL\network.tcpip  

In this key should be the IP address of the old CMS/CPS server. If you are changing IP addresses, then perhaps alter this to the new CMS/CPS server's IP addess before restarting the remote CPA services.  Also, it is important to have the same Backup Group name as before....or you'll have to change the other registry key netgroup found under the My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\System directory.

Once CPS is installed on the new CMS/CPS server, then start service at one the remote CPA server's first. Back on the new CMS/CPS server, see if a refresh of the Servers under the Setup menu picks up the remote server you started the CPA serives for...if it doesn't, then use the menu option to "Push Install using wizard" to help discover that CPA server.

Then there is a lot of work ahead...if you manage to begin that one remote server online in the CMS console, then set up its backup destination area and a job to start resyncing...if the job starts resyncing the remote servers data to this empty BDA, then stop the job after a little while.  The previous NTBACKUP for this remote server can be used to restore all files to this BDA. Once the restore completes you should have a very close replicated file system for the remote CPA. Then restart the backup job and the resync will happen and it should be relatively quick as it does not have to copy absolutely everything up...just the changes

You could try this on the new CMS/CPS server to only one CPA remote server first to test my theory...if it works, then repeat the setup to all remote servers...

There are probably a few things I have missed, but I hope that helps fill in the blanks. 

Cheers
Roger

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
Thanks for the reply Roger. Looks like you spent some time writting that out. We havent reployed yet and were starting to think it might be better to just redeploy the agents on the remote clients from the new cps server. I am will try your suggestions first though.

Thanks again!