cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification on Agents needed

mshields83
Level 2

Hi,

New to this forum, hoping someone can clarify Agents needed for my typical setup. I have read sales material and thought I had it sussed. However, now I am not too sure. 

Suppose the situation where I have a Hyper-V host, and a VM running Exchange. For granular restores of exchange (as well as AD/SQL etc), I was under the impression that I needed Agent for Applications and Databases. If I was backing up a VM which did not have a database application, so just files, I could back this up using Agent for Hyper-V.

However, I am just scheduling a set of new backups to a server today, and while adding a hyper-v machine to the list of servers, I get the message:

BE_2015 - Copy.PNG

This says that installing Agent for Windows enables granular recover. So now I am confused. Can someone please clarify what agents I need if I have a hyper-v host running a VM Exchange server?

Sorry if this is covered several times elsewhere, im struggling to find a consistent answer.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
To be able to restore in individual files/folders from your VM backups, you would also need to install the BE remote agent in the VM. In order to backup VM's as VM's, you would also need to install the remote agent on the VM host

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There are "two" definitions here, one being the actual, physical agent and the other being the software (licensing one).

For a granular recovery of an application such as Exchange, you would need the "physical" agent installed (Remote Agent for Windows) and to license this GRT feature, you would need the "software" agent installed (Agent for Applications & Database) on the BE server.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
To be able to restore in individual files/folders from your VM backups, you would also need to install the BE remote agent in the VM. In order to backup VM's as VM's, you would also need to install the remote agent on the VM host