cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning slot "missing"

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

We just installed an upgraded tape library. New one is TL-2000

In the oper control panel, I have the TL-2000 set to 'auto-clean' However, the BExec user interface under 'slots' does not show that specific slot number as if it dsnt exist.

I decided to 'toggle off' the setting in the TL-2000 oper control panel where i selected 'dont auto-clean'. However, this did not alter my user interface result in BExec.

How can i get the media server to see all the slots? (Note: in the TL-2000 i do have 23 slots selected as 'Active'. BExec sees 22)

Thanks!

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

BE will probably see the 22 slots as it won't recognise the cleaning slot you've defined at a hardware level.

I'd personally remove the cleaning slot from the library and keep the drive in. Run the cleaning manually, or let the library use it when required.

Tahnks!

View solution in original post

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

I decided to 'toggle off' the setting in the TL-2000 oper control panel where i selected 'dont auto-clean'. However, this did not alter my user interface result in BExec.

How can i get the media server to see all the slots? (Note: in the TL-2000 i do have 23 slots selected as 'Active'. BExec sees 22)

Since you made the change on the hardware side to not auto-clean (IMHO, the right choice), you need to restart the BE services to make it awware of the additional slot.  If that doesn't do it, then power cycle your TL2000 and your BE server.  Your adamm.log file will help you see how many slots the library is currently reporting to BE.

CraigV

BE is aware of the cleaning tape in the library if you've got a label on it (which identifies the cleaning tape).

BE isn't aware of anything hardware-configured, ie. cleaning slot on the library, hardware partitions etc...this way, BE handles the cleaning of the drive when required by simply leaving the cleaning tape in the library.

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

It is suggested for a number of reasons.  The primary is that many people fail to look at their library interface often enough.  Or their library web interface isn't very friendly or detailed.  Many library interfaces don't show when the drive was cleaned last or hour many hours the drivet has been used since it was cleaned.  It is also easier for most users to kick off a manual cleaing job from BE if that is the interface that they are used to. 

If the clenaing tape is exposed to BE, then BE will automatically respond to TapeAlerts from the drive that it needs cleaning.  So, by the next moringing, you should see alerts that the drive requested cleaning and another aler that the drive was cleaned successfully... nothing more for you to do.

And having a designated slot in BE for a cleaning cartridge is different than simply having a cleaning bar code on a cartridge.  If a slot is marked as a cleaning slot, it won't be included if/when you run an inventory job on the whole library, which prevents wasting your clleaning cartridge when the drive isn't dirty.

7 REPLIES 7

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You either have the library run cleaning or you have Backup Exec do it - I suspect you are accidentally trying to do both and the library is therefore not presenting the cleaning slot to Backup Exec because it is managing cleaning.

CraigV

BE will probably see the 22 slots as it won't recognise the cleaning slot you've defined at a hardware level.

I'd personally remove the cleaning slot from the library and keep the drive in. Run the cleaning manually, or let the library use it when required.

Tahnks!

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

Since you made the change on the hardware side to not auto-clean (IMHO, the right choice), you need to restart the BE services to make it awware of the additional slot.  If that doesn't do it, then power cycle your TL2000 and your BE server.  Your adamm.log file will help you see how many slots the library is currently reporting to BE.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Also, if in conjunction with the auto clean option, the library has a setting to define where the cleaning slot is then you would possibly need to disable this setting for BE to see the slot (and then if intending to clean with BE unstead re-define the cleaning slot inside BE)

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I disabled the auto-clean on tape library. And then restaring the BExec services did the trick.

Thank you.

Oh...btw,,,,why is it recommended to have BExec manage the cleaning vs the library iself?

CraigV

BE is aware of the cleaning tape in the library if you've got a label on it (which identifies the cleaning tape).

BE isn't aware of anything hardware-configured, ie. cleaning slot on the library, hardware partitions etc...this way, BE handles the cleaning of the drive when required by simply leaving the cleaning tape in the library.

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

It is suggested for a number of reasons.  The primary is that many people fail to look at their library interface often enough.  Or their library web interface isn't very friendly or detailed.  Many library interfaces don't show when the drive was cleaned last or hour many hours the drivet has been used since it was cleaned.  It is also easier for most users to kick off a manual cleaing job from BE if that is the interface that they are used to. 

If the clenaing tape is exposed to BE, then BE will automatically respond to TapeAlerts from the drive that it needs cleaning.  So, by the next moringing, you should see alerts that the drive requested cleaning and another aler that the drive was cleaned successfully... nothing more for you to do.

And having a designated slot in BE for a cleaning cartridge is different than simply having a cleaning bar code on a cartridge.  If a slot is marked as a cleaning slot, it won't be included if/when you run an inventory job on the whole library, which prevents wasting your clleaning cartridge when the drive isn't dirty.