cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job rate on backup.

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I just replaced our tape library from a Dell Powervault "older model" to a Dell TL-2000.

I did a 4 GB backup job to get a feel for the speed of the job rate. The job rate came in at about 450Mb/min.

We have had other jobs come in a 1.6GB/min.

Question

"What" and "where" can i look  to make sure I am configured with "proper settings" and/or "latest 'req'd stuff' " to maximize my job rate?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...make sure you're using the SYmantec drivers for the tape drive (run tapeinst.exe to do so), and update to the latest firmware revision too on the library.

You can also read up on pkh's article below on tuning your tape drive:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tuning-my-lto4-tape-drive

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

I did a 4 GB backup job to get a feel for the speed of the job rate. The job rate came in at about 450Mb/min.

The basic BE settings are fine for most people & situations.  A speed of 450 MB/min indicates some sort of problem or limitation that tuning is not likely to overcome.  Backups are typically slow(er) for System State or disk volumes with lots of small files.  Are the 1.6 GB/min "other jobs" of the same data and from the same source?  Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.  With modern LTO drives, the tape drive is frequently much faster then the source disks can feed it, so focus on your source and your connections to find the weak link.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You might want to tune your tape drive.  See my article below

The priniciple is the same for any type of tape drive or versions of BE.

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...make sure you're using the SYmantec drivers for the tape drive (run tapeinst.exe to do so), and update to the latest firmware revision too on the library.

You can also read up on pkh's article below on tuning your tape drive:

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

The basic BE settings are fine for most people & situations.  A speed of 450 MB/min indicates some sort of problem or limitation that tuning is not likely to overcome.  Backups are typically slow(er) for System State or disk volumes with lots of small files.  Are the 1.6 GB/min "other jobs" of the same data and from the same source?  Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.  With modern LTO drives, the tape drive is frequently much faster then the source disks can feed it, so focus on your source and your connections to find the weak link.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You might want to tune your tape drive.  See my article below

The priniciple is the same for any type of tape drive or versions of BE.

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

Thank you for input. The library firmware and drive firmware were up to date.

I decided to try backing up only 8 files totalling 3.6 GB. It does appear right away that the larger files do in fact back up faster. My baseline job rate  as shown in job history now was 888 MB/min.

I tested different drive configs and found one that netted me 1,041 GB /min. My drive config settings were:

Compression   -   yes
Block Size  -    512 KB
Buffer Size     - 512 KB
Buffer Count   -10
High Water Count - 7
Read Single Block Mode -  No
Write Single Block Mode - yes
Read SCSI pass-through mode  - No
Write SCSI pass through mode  - yes

I will post a separate question whic now relates to the 'Job Rate posted'

Thanks!