cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Side Dedupe not working

macpiano
Level 6

I had this working previously on another server but on the new one I built it won't do client side dedupe and gives this error.

Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used.  Please check this link...

http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-79-18273.

Of course the link goes nowhere. What am I missing here? I have opened all ports in and out on the new media server itself.

thanks

Gary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Try this for 1 of the remote server,

1) Delete the server from the media server

2) Uninstall remote agent reboot reinstall remote agent.

3) Compare the version of remote agent of the remote server with the media server.

4) add the remote server under the dedup folder.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

AmolB

In the Devices tab, below the dedup folder do you see the remote server for which the client side

dedup is not working. 

macpiano
Level 6

In the first pic attached I get the folders underneath each server which is the original one I built. In the 2nd I do not get the dedupe folder under each server.

(I have attached pics but I can't see them anywhere after I post.)

AmolB

Delete all those servers and readd them.

macpiano
Level 6

Delete from both servers?

AmolB

Delete it from the BE console.

macpiano
Level 6

I deleted all then added one of them back in. I ran a quick job and still won't do client side dedupe.

AmolB

Try this for 1 of the remote server,

1) Delete the server from the media server

2) Uninstall remote agent reboot reinstall remote agent.

3) Compare the version of remote agent of the remote server with the media server.

4) add the remote server under the dedup folder.

macpiano
Level 6

I did this process, it says it still can't do client side. One question, do I need to open port 10,000 on the remote server by any chance (or something similiar)?

AmolB

Remote agent communicates over 10k. if the port is not opened then even the normal backup will not work

macpiano
Level 6

I have firewall rules that allow all outbound and inbound ports to be open and it will do the job just media side only. Not sure if I even need client side as it seemed like it was slower than media the last time I tried. I always feel though if something isn't working right there might be other issues as well.

macpiano
Level 6

For other reasons I rebuilt the whole server. I then deinstalled remote agent on 2 servers and pushed out from the new console. Now the dedupe folder shows up correctly underneath the remote server in devices and my 2 test jobs to each used client side dedupe. I think the key is going to the remote server deinstalling the remote agent then pushing out the new one.

AmolB

Didn't you reinstall the agent earlier in the day.

macpiano
Level 6

I did but I still had the first CASO server I built still running so I'm wondering if it was trying to stay hooked into that one. This was the first time I got the dedupe active folder underneath the remote server. I know weird stuff happens when you try to do these things with the old one still running etc. And I have manually removed all the agents from the remote servers and pushed out the new agent and everyone of them showed up correctly in the devices and all have used client side dedupe. I'm running a 2.2 TB job right now.

With client side dedupe I'm getting a 2:1 ratio on the first try. With media side dedupe I get about a 1.4:1 ratio on dedupe. It is faster doing media dedupe but takes more disk space. That is probably the tradeoff.

teiva-boy
Level 6

The trick that will be interesting, will be what are your subsequent client-side dedupe numbers as well as what are the elapsed times to completion...  We're all curious in environments where people's successes are and is the product living up to the hype.

macpiano
Level 6

I was curious as well. Here are the results with the first one on the botton-slightly faster each time:

Name

Device Name

Percent Complete

Elapsed Time

Byte Count

Job Rate

Error Code

Deduplication Ratio

Blackboard Full

DEL-BS Dedupe:3

100%

1:13:06