cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloned Server with Backup Exec 12.5 takes too long to backup

bolasutra
Level 3

Hi,

Hope to find someone who is familiar with Backup Exec to enlighten me.

I got two servers. They are ServerMaster and ServerClient1. The servers are running Windows Server 2008 with Backup Exec 12.5. ServerMaster is the master backup server. ServerClient1 is installed with the Backup Exec agent. The backup is no issues.

Recently, I cloned ServerClient1 and the new server name is ServerClient2. I added ServerClient2 to the existing backup policy. However, the backup takes three days to complete. I would like to ask what is wrong with the cloned ServerClient2. Is it same hardware ID with ServerClient1? Please enlighten me.

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

In the job log check which resources is taking more time for backups.

Also check if there are any alerts in the alerts tab.

Have you tried creating a new job for the new server, if possible try that and post the results.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

When you install the RAWS agent, it asks where it needs to be cloned. I'd start by checking your remote server and making sure that RAWS is publishing to your cloned media server.

Once done, open up beutility.exe on your media server. RIght-click the server name and choose the option to update the media server with the new name...

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6

Here the Media server remains the same and is called as Master backup server.

What is cloned is the remote server which is Client1 and the new server added is named as Client2.,

So there is no need to update the media server name in BeUtility as the Media server remains unchanged.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Sush---
Level 6

Try to test the backup of client2 seperately. See if the seperate backup is also taking long time.

To check the network probelm, try to copy paste the same amount of data from client2 to media server and check if that takes less or significantly high amount of time.

Thanks,

-Sush...

bolasutra
Level 3

Sush,

You got the scenerio correct.

bolasutra
Level 3

I got the same situation as this fellow: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/cloning-machine-backup-exec-remote-agent

Last night, the remote engineer has re-installed the Backup Exec Remote Agent on the cloned server and is scheduled to run the backup job this afternoon. Hope everything turns out well today.

If it did not turn out well today, the engineer will create a separate backup job on the cloned server and run the debug option.

Any more enlightment or experience to share with cloned servers?

bolasutra
Level 3

My cloned server is a HP Proliant DL380 G6, The backup details is

Backed up 44613 files in 5854 directories.
Processed 342317306 bytes in  4 minutes and  2 seconds.
Throughput rate: 80.9 MB/min
Compression Type: Hardware

The speed 80.9 MB/min is considered slow. I have configured network to use 100MB full-dplux.

Regards

Kent

Sush---
Level 6

Just 342 MB is very less data for testing. Try to test the backups with atleast 2 GB data. So try the backup of 2GB data and see how much time it takes.

Thanks

-Sush...