cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combinate differential and full back-ups

Roy_P
Level 2

Hi there,

At the moment I have some problems creating a back-up plan in back-up exec 12. 

We have a small enviroment with 1 file server, 1 exchange server and multiple application servers. However when I take a full back-up every day it take to long. After investigation I came to the conclusion that 1 of the application servers have an archive with imcoming files (PDF/TIFF). There are 1,8 mil files on this server which make it impossible too keep the back-up outside the buisness times.

Due this I would like to create an differential back-up on this server on week days and a full back-up from the other servers. I also like to have this 2 back-ups on the same tape. I read some articles in the knowledge base and didn't find a solution.

We have a HP libary which hold multiple tapes. I guess I have to make 2 jobs (1 differential and 1 complete) and set the media on appendable. But when I read the knowledge base the second job will first search for a tape in the scratch set and because there are other tapes available in the libary it will use a 2nd tape when im correct.

Is there any option to tell the software that it have to pick the same tape at the second job.

Thanks in advance for your help.

5 REPLIES 5

Felicia
Level 3

I would create the Full and Differential backups using policies.

With the tapes, you can create a media set for Weekly Full and another for Daily Differential.  For the Daily Differential Media Set configure Infinite- Allow Append.  That way the Daily Differential backup will use the same tape until it is full.

Is this what you require?

Roy_P
Level 2

Hi Felicia,

The answer below is not the 1 I was looking for.

I like to combine 2 jobs writing on 1 disk. When you have multiple disk in the libary the 2nd job will search for a tape in the scratchset first before it use the tape which is appendable.  So it doesnt matter of the tape from the first job is appendable or not.

Anyway thanks for your reply!

Regards,

Roy

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Do both jobs use the same media set? 

This is a requirement for Append jobs in BackupExec

Roy_P
Level 2
Yes they both use the same media set

Frank_White
Level 3
I have a pretty similiar setup and I am running into the same problem.  I have 1 SQL Server, 1 Exchange, 1 TS, 1 BES with 2 NAS units.  The problem I run into whenever I do a full backup its takes all night long.  My exchange is 107GB in size and take 10-13 hrs Daily.  And of course can't be run during the day.  My Weekly full takes 20-32 hrs to complete and always fails out.  Any insight on how to slim down these backups woudl be much aprreciated.