cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compacting Catalogs

arbware
Not applicable

I have almost 50GB of Catalogs and was wondering if anyone knew a good way to either compact that or get it to a more reasonable size.  I guess I really don’t know exactly what the catalogs are used for and how far back I need to keep them.
Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Catalogs are used to keep which files and folders are backed up onto which media.  When that media is overwritten, the old catalog is deleted and a new one created.  You cannot restore from a media unless it is in the catalog.  You can reduce the size of the catalog by going to Tools --> Options --- Catalog and set the Truncate After parameter.  Once this parameter is set, the catalog information for catalogs older than the truncate period will be deleted.  Only the header will be retained.  You would have to re-catalog the media if you want to restore from it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Catalogs are used to keep which files and folders are backed up onto which media.  When that media is overwritten, the old catalog is deleted and a new one created.  You cannot restore from a media unless it is in the catalog.  You can reduce the size of the catalog by going to Tools --> Options --- Catalog and set the Truncate After parameter.  Once this parameter is set, the catalog information for catalogs older than the truncate period will be deleted.  Only the header will be retained.  You would have to re-catalog the media if you want to restore from it.