cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete N00b Questions- help needed

S_Cooney
Level 3
Just had Backup exec 11d installed onto the network which has 10 server agents. I am using a Quantum 8 tape auto loader.

I have never set up a backup strategy before and would like a couple of pointers.

I want to set up a Grandfather, Father, Son policy so that there is a monthly backup which is then banked offsite. I also want to set up the weekly rotation as differential and also the daily as differential.

What overwrite and append periods would be best for these Media Sets?

Will I also need to set up 3 different jobs for each server (monthly, weekly, daily) and allocate them to the relevant media sets?

Because i want to use deferential would the weekly and daily backups (bearing in mind they are different jobs to the monthlys) just work and append from the monthlys?

I fear I am getting into a logistical nightmare trying to figure this out so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
The easiest way to setup a Grandfather-Father-Son rotation is to use the Policy Wizard.
Click the down arrow on the Backup button, and choose new Policy using Wizard
In the Wizard, choose the option for Monthly Full backup with weekly and daily backups (GFS - Grandfather, Father, Son media rotation scheme.)
I think that will help you out.
-Daniel

Yesterday_s_Fis
Level 2
I should preface my question by also stating that I'm a complete noob with BE.

I'm actually in the same boat but had a question on dividing up the tapes.  I have an 8-tape LTO from Dell.  To create a G-F-S backup with the latest going off-site (as describd in the method above), how do I segment the series of 8 tapes, so that they are not treated as one sum of storage?

Greg_Meister
Level 6
You can Partition the library slots. Each partition will then appear as a separate backup device, so you can target specific jobs to their own partiton, and will only use thoise tapes.