cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compression Issues

oscomputers
Not applicable
Hello,

I am using BE10d with a Tandberg SLR140 tape drive and tapes. Running flawlessly for nearly 2 years then all of a sudden getting no compression. I have replaced the drive,the tapes,the SCSI card,the SCSI cable,uninstalled BE,reinstalled BE,updated SCSI firmware,and finally updated to the latest drive firmware.I am getting no compression at all through either hardware or software compression.Hooked up and external harddrive and set up BE to backup to that with software compression and get a 1:1 compression ratio there as well.Ive simply run out of ideas as to what to do next.Any help would be appreciated.Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3

Matt69
Level 3
I'm using 11d SP1 with a Quantum 600 drive on Windows 2003 and am getting 1:1 compression. Anyone got any ideas? Tried hardware and software, inventorying tapes and erasing. Ran Quantum diagsnostics and found no problems. Any suggestions appreciated!

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
99% of the time when I run across a hardware compression issue (where no compression is happening) it is do to a hardware issues.  I have worked with many customers not getting hardware compression, and we have found that only 1 of them was do to something Backup Exec was doing wrong, and that has since been patched.  So I would suggest both of you contact your hardware vendors. 

If they do still say it's the software causing the problem and not the hardware, ask them for a SCSI trace from where the backup was running and were BE did not send the command to compress data.  Smiley Indifferent

Message Edited by ben_lipsey on 10-05-2007 10:19 AM

Matt69
Level 3
Thanks for the response. I actually got 1:1.44 compression on the backup last night. I ran SGMon while doing a test backup and get the message "HARDWARE COMPRESSION ===> Compression is configurable." which seems to indicate it should work.

This was backing up an Exchange Message Store. If hardware compression is available, should we reasonably expect to get 1:2 compression or thereabouts, or is that the maximum possible and we can normally expect to get less?

ThanksSmiley Surprised