cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compression, System State and SharePoint Warnings

Ryan_Laurie
Level 3
Hi everyone, I have some questions related to my backups and settings, currently I am doing 3 backup jobs on my Windows 2008 Small Business Server to 3 different Backup-to-Disk Folders:

Data Backup - Data files & SharePoint - B2D Folder (Data)
Exchange Backup - Exchange 2007 - B2D Folder (Exchange)
System State Backup - System State & Shadow Components B2D Folder (System State)

Question 1 - Compression
Should I change the compression type setting from the default Hardware [if available, otherwise none] to Software or Hardware [if available, otherwise software]?

Question(s) 2 - System State
Is it common for a new SBS 2008 System State backup to be around 20GB or will question 1 depending on the answer shrink this down?  Also I am getting exceptions that VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\OEM14.inf is not present on the snapshot and 3 other files, is there a way to clean this up or remove these some how so I can get a successful backup?

Question 3 - SharePoint Warnings
Is there anyway to get rid of the SharePoint warnings "V-79-40960-37914 - Database WSS_Content is configured to maintain transaction logs.  Transaction log backups are not being performed.  This will result in the log growing to fill all available disk space.  Regular log backups should be scheduled or the database should be changed to the simple recovery mode." or will I have to wait for a patch, hotfix or service pack to clean this up?  I did also look at the V-79-40960-37914 article that tells me to ignore this error but just want to get successful backup to all my jobs.

Thanks Ryan
3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
1. Since it appears you aren't using any tape devices for you backups, changing the compression type to software may help your backup sizes. Leaving it as hardware just means it won't compress the backups since backup to disk is not a hardware provider like a tape drive.

2. Yes that is very common and I have not seen one shrink down.   The exception is documented in this technote. http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/340950.htm

3. To get past this exception you need to run a log backup of your sharepoint databases, basically create a second job to backup just the sharepoint databases listed in the exceptions that runs once a week, but go into the sharepoint sections of the job settings and change it to "Log - Back up and truncate transaction Log".  More information on this exception can be found here. http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/345321.htm

LMHansen
Level 3
Partner
Ben,

That article mentions a registry fix. I tried that, but I'm still getting the "exception" notices. I did restart BE (2010) after I change the registry key, but do I have to restart the server as well?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Which exception are you getting in the backup?
Which registry settings did you change and what did you change it to?