Level 2
Hi all,
I'm really confused on what products to buy. I want to do the following:

1) Backup Windows 2003 server to NAS box
2) Backup Exchange (sitting on two servers) to NAS box
3) Backup SQL (sitting on it's own server) to NAS box

maybe

4) Backup users laptops/PCs to NAS box.

I've been told Windows Server-CPS is all I need, but I read somewhere I need to buy agents for Exchange and SQL (?)

Can any one help me?
PLEASE!!
6 REPLIES 6

Rocky_K
Level 2
Anyone?

I to know what to buy!

Rocky_K
Level 2
Reading through the forum.... and not really getting any support on what product to buy! yes I am looking to purchase your software - I think I will visit CA to see if they can are prepared to take my money!!

Cos u lot aren't!

I really can't understand why symantec are not ready to help.... the support in the United Kingdom is rubbish and the partners listed on this website, there are no contact telephone number, and the dozen I tried are no longer trading... GREAT server you provide - NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason_Meyer
Level 4
i have a really out of the ordinary idea for you. How about contacting a Symantec sales rep? This is a support forum.....

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
> 1) Backup Windows 2003 server to NAS box

BE will do this. (Provided your NAS boxs runs a Windows OS)

> 2) Backup Exchange (sitting on two servers) to NAS box

You need an Exchange Agent license for this.

> 3) Backup SQL (sitting on it's own server) to NAS box

You need an SQL Agent license for this.

> 4) Backup users laptops/PCs to NAS box.

If you are doing scheduled backups, then this can be done with BE, no additional license needed (I think).

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
To expand on Hywel's answer a little

2 Exchange Servers, whether separate servers or clustered, need two exchange serials Each Exchange license includes on RemoteAgent

the SQL license also includes a Remote Agent

Workstations - for disaster recovery, need the RAWS installed, but you don't need to purchase one for DesktopOS machines, just do a silent install

You also need to remember that Symantec's Tech Support is based in the Indian Subcontinent, and while it is the business day in the US, it is the middle of the night there. (Don't bother them with a concept such as support available when the customer is actually working!) so expecting a reply in 1 1/2 hours may be pushing it ;) )

Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Could you please update us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta