cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying Data from LTO3 to LTO 5 tapes by using BE2010 R2.

StockholmGuy
Level 6

Hi all,

How i can copy data from LTO3 tapes to LTO 5 tapes by using BE2010.

I have HP 8096 Tape library with 3 drives enabled.

HOw BE2010 can help in this regard,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well, there are 2 ways for this...

1. Long way around is to restore to disk from 1 LTO3 tape, and then back up to an LTO5 tape. Count on this taking a while.

2. The other way is to do the following:

* Job Setup --> (under Backup Tasks) New job yo duplicate backup sets.

* Duplicate existing backup sets (Click OK)

* Click the View by Media tab, and select the tape/s you want. Since LTO5 has a raw capacity of 1.6TB, I'd go with maybe selecting 3 LTO3 tapes at a time. You'll have to check on what compression you're getting on those LTO3 tapes, and then judge accordingly how many LTO3 tapes you try getting onto the LTO5 tapes.

* Under Destination, you can then select which drive you'd like to target...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

StockholmGuy
Level 6

No response yet?????????

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you tried to duplicate a tape ?
But I think it will be only possible with the same tapes (lto3 to lto3 and lto5 to lto5).

Otherwise, I don't think it will be possible. Why should you ?
An LTO5 drive can READ lto3 tapes.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

By the way, It is pretty useless to kick your topic within the hour and scream that there are no responces, as if that would help......

Dell_Lam
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

I would suggest the following as I am not sure how your jobs are setup ZeroC00L is correct that you can do a duplication job you can do a duplication from any location B2D deduplication tape to tape etc. The only issue I can see you are having is you are using the same tape lib.

Try doing the following steps:

* Things that I can see that could go wrong is how will your robotic lib know which drive to target when you have a pool of drives.

1. Create a new media set for your LT05

2. Go to your job setup

3. Select "New job to duplicate backup set"

4. Select the jobs that you want to duplicate

5. Choose the right media set and drive

If all else fails duplicate to B2D and duplicate to tape

If you are doing by policy then just add a duplication policy and the media set to duplicate for this duplication but tape duplication is not commonly used and B2D to tape is more common.

StockholmGuy
Level 6

@zeroocool.. I think this is not a good reply to say some one screaming. Why Symentac has this forum to discuss the problems occur while using BE as their product.

There must be some code of conduct while having  making a comment or replying.

I posted the 2nd comment after almost 1 hour becuase i usually got answers within 30 mints.

Are you really employed by symentac or having this job vlountarily??

Regards,

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Let me first start with saying that I absoluetly NOT work for Symantec or have a support desk of them.

BTW: you can recognize Symantec employees with the yellow bar behind their name !

Offcourse this forum is meaned to discuss issues/problems and other things of the Symantec products, but there is nowhere listed that you can expect a response within the hour.

If you require quick reaction, you better call the support desk and create a support ticket.

teiva-boy
Level 6

This is a COMMUNITY driven forum, where Symantec customers post questions about Symantec products, and we try to help each other out.

There are frequent posters with a long standing in this forum, that are "Trusted Advisors," and there happen to be a dozen or so Symantec employees that post into these forums, either as technical support, product management, or as forum moderators.  

This is NOT a support forum where you are guaranteed a response from Symantec.  

That said, a duplicate job should be the ticket to your resolution, and be sure to give the resolution to "Dell Lam," so he gets some extra points he can use for tangible things. (Why we post on this forum)

StockholmGuy
Level 6

Thank you for replying and helping in solving issues.

Things are clear as this is just a community forum for helping each other.

So i would be more patient then !
!!

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is your issue now resolved or not ? If so, please mark the post that helped you as solution.

CraigV

...I'd suggest both you guys take a fight offline...the forum isn't the place! surprise

StockholmGuy
Level 6

The issue is not resloved yet,

I need to check it physically by inserting LTO3 tapes into LTO 5  drives.

BUt i dont know how i can copy (duplicate)these LTO 3 dta  at the same drive as source and destination as well.i have 3 drives  activated  with almost 45 LTO 5 tapes.

!!

CraigV

Hi,

How many Library Expansion Option Licenses do you have? BE ships with 1, so you need 2 more if you don't have anything else.

Also, make sure you're running the latest driver patch for your BE version.

There is no reason for the duplicate to tape NOT to work, as long as you're duplicating LTO3 --> LTO5 which you are. The other way around is obviously not supported.

StockholmGuy
Level 6

Hi,

i have 3 library expansion options:

Latest updates are installed ,mean hotfixes and every thing.

Plz make it simple:

How it would work i just want to replace all data that resides in LTO 3 to LTO 5 tapes.

Step by step process if some one knows exactly. I will do this job just once: and then will discard the LTO3 tapes:

CraigV

Well, there are 2 ways for this...

1. Long way around is to restore to disk from 1 LTO3 tape, and then back up to an LTO5 tape. Count on this taking a while.

2. The other way is to do the following:

* Job Setup --> (under Backup Tasks) New job yo duplicate backup sets.

* Duplicate existing backup sets (Click OK)

* Click the View by Media tab, and select the tape/s you want. Since LTO5 has a raw capacity of 1.6TB, I'd go with maybe selecting 3 LTO3 tapes at a time. You'll have to check on what compression you're getting on those LTO3 tapes, and then judge accordingly how many LTO3 tapes you try getting onto the LTO5 tapes.

* Under Destination, you can then select which drive you'd like to target...

Thanks!

StockholmGuy
Level 6

Thanks CraigV.

I hope it would help me