cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Duplicate of backup on USB external media

Mark_Lynch_3
Level 3

I have 8 backups that run nightly, they are stored on a multi-terrabyte server system - I would like to be able to copy the nightly backups to a USB drive that I can rotate to one of our other sites, daily, but I can't seem to figure out how to do this. The jobs complete by writing to the server, but I don't want to run another (all night) backup to the USB drives - there should be an easy way to copy just the previous nights backup to these external drives, but I can't seem to locate instructions - any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Symantec Provides a template that will help you set this up

You didn't mention your version, but for v12 see page 460  of the Admn Guide

For v2010 see page 532

Since you are writing to disk, you can make all your Duplicate jobs Overwrite (using appropriate OPP for the media set, so you don't need manual intervention)

Make sure that you define a standard B2D device not a Removeable B2D.  Also,  be sure to define concurrent access, since more than one Duplicate job may be running at once   eSATA would probably be a better choice than USB, but if you already have the external drives ...

Prior to 2010R2, multiple external drives was kind hinky,  but with  R2, things are much better

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Symantec Provides a template that will help you set this up

You didn't mention your version, but for v12 see page 460  of the Admn Guide

For v2010 see page 532

Since you are writing to disk, you can make all your Duplicate jobs Overwrite (using appropriate OPP for the media set, so you don't need manual intervention)

Make sure that you define a standard B2D device not a Removeable B2D.  Also,  be sure to define concurrent access, since more than one Duplicate job may be running at once   eSATA would probably be a better choice than USB, but if you already have the external drives ...

Prior to 2010R2, multiple external drives was kind hinky,  but with  R2, things are much better

Mark_Lynch_3
Level 3

Thanks - I'll see if I can figure it out using the books and your page references - I'm on V12 right now.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Assuming you are intending to rotate the USB disks to another media serevr on the other site, then you'll run into problems if both servers run backups and both start using the same B2D and IMG names for their own backups as you will end up withe duplicated media names with different internal (GUID based) identifiers. You will hit similar problems if you move some bkf files one week and then the next week  they are overwritten so you move files with the same names again...

We haven't designed portablility of a B2d on a USB target between media servers into the product so you may have to do some testing to see what is best way to move the data around. DR purposes are covered - if you start with a blank Backup Exec database and port the USB data in, then you won't run into issues with media names vs identifiers.

If just using USB on the one media server, the recommendation would be upgrade to BE 2010 R2 (for better handling of B2D on USB when the device is unplugged) and use duplicate jobs. However as the intention appears to be to move the USB to another media server this may not be the best idea.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Thanks for catching the part about sharing with another media server, Colin.  I missed that part