cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Synthetic backup

Keith_Watson
Level 4
I'm trying to use ADBO. When I try to create a set of jobs from the Policy, I get the error complaining that the selection must be "File System Resources" . Okay, call me stupid, but what the..... is it refering to. There is only one way that I can see to make a selection. The only DB "options" installed are for Lotus Notes, and OFO. No DB agents. The test I'm trying to do, is of a server that has no DB on it.
4 REPLIES 4

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
Hello there,

Synthetic backup can be performed only for file system resources that is you can create jobs only for resources which include the local drives. NO databases can be selected. We suggest you to create a job only for the local drives and then verify the results.
Ensure that all the selection lists that are to be associated to the synthetic backup policy have only file system resources like the local drives selected.

Create a new selection list and then check the results.
Thank you.

Keith_Watson
Level 4
I thought I was doing that. So I can't include "Shadow Copy Components"? How is a restore going to provide proper registry entries etc. for a W2K3 Server? Or am I missing something?

Sagar_Kamat_2
Level 6
Only file system resources are supported for synthetic backup. "Shadow Copy Components" includes system state and service state. Hence, it is recommended that only full backups of these resources be done. Hope, this answers your query.

Mark_Magasich
Level 2
The question of restoring a server to it's previous state when using Synthetic Backups was not answered. It seem that a synthetic backup of the OS drive AND a full backup of the system state is required.

Any documents / white papers outlining the requirements or required data backups to protect a W2k3 server.