cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating backup job - cant get rid of the full backup option for incremental

shabbaranks
Level 4

Hi Guys,

Im trying to create backup jobs both incremental for mon - thurs and full for fri. I can create the full backup job no problem as the default schedule adds full. What I am unable to do is remove the full backup schedule for a new daily/incremental job.

Is it something I am doing wrong?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Instead of trying to create a second backup job for incr/diff, have you tried to add the incr/diff stage in the same backup...i.e.first stage consists of full backup & the second stage consists of incr/diff ?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Are you creating stand-alone jobs? If so, rather consider using a policy as this will create the rules and details etc. that you need in order to set it up and configure it correctly.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For BE 2012, you cannot do incrementals without doing fulls.

shabbaranks
Level 4

Sorry I double posted - I will delete the other post, I also forgot to mention I am using BE 2012. So what is the reason you cant do incremental without doing a full backup? Also what exactly is being fully backed up if I am specifying an incremental as I dont want a daily full backup purely for the fact of time availability. Also if I wanted to do a daily full thats what I would choose.

Thanks

shabbaranks
Level 4

When you say you cant do incrementals without doing fulls - even if I select differential I still cannot remove the full backup option.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...because that's how an INCR/DIFF backup works, and has always worked. You need a FULL backup to work from in order to get the changes backed up!

shabbaranks
Level 4

Yeah I understand how diff/Inc work but what I wasnt expecting from within a diff\inc job to show a schedule for a full backup. What I thought should happen is that it would reference the last full backup and backup diff\inc accordingly if that makes sense?

What I am saying is yes you have to do a full backup for a diff/inc to work but as it appears in BE 2012 it looks like you have to do a full backup in the same job as a diff\inc

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Precisely, in previous versions of BE, you can do an incremental backup without doing a full backup.  With BE 2012, you cannot do a full backup without doing a full backup.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Instead of trying to create a second backup job for incr/diff, have you tried to add the incr/diff stage in the same backup...i.e.first stage consists of full backup & the second stage consists of incr/diff ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

How do you add a incr/diff as a second stage?  When I try to add a stage, I only get things like duplicate to tape, virtual or other storage devices.  I don't see a way to add a incr/diff job as another stage.

shabbaranks
Level 4

Within the backup properties - if you edit the job on the first screen within the schedule there is an "Add backup jobs by method" button down the bottom. Click that and you can add Inc, Diff or full jobs.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am aware of adding additional jobs, but the other user is talking about a stage which in BE 2012 terms is a job between different types of storage, so his answer is misleading.