Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO:Initialization failure on: Shadow Copy components

Brian-O
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Using Backupexec 2010 R2 on SBS2011

I just started getting this error about 3 weeks ago, server has bee in production well over 8 months never had this error before. I also see spsearch errors right after job starts. I have run the psconfig.exe per other post that I found. I also looked at the Shadow copy compontent on the drive and set that to unlimited. Still error with out of disk space.

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi brian,

You didn't give the full error, but please check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH30634

Thanks!

Roman_Lenarsic
Level 3
Partner

Hi

I get often these kind of errors and it could be several reasons for this:

- look at disk space usage on disk drives

- you may be ussing more then one VSS provider, type vssadmin list providers

- you may using two different programs for backup of one server at the same time

Best regard

Roman Lenarsic

Brian-O
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Thanks For the replyThanks For the reply Thanks t

Backup - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
V-79-10000-11242 - VSS Snapshot error. Out of disk space, or could not find an NTFS volume while creating the snapshot. Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) requires an NTFS volume with enough free disk space for each physical or virtual disk volume to cache the data that changes during the backup job. Consult the Microsoft documentation for more information.

Thanks for the reply Craig and Roman,

This is the error I get when the job completes, it is SBS2011 -  job ran for 3 months no problem then this started about a month ago. Brand new install, new HW. No other Backup sw installed. MS backup is not configured. 1TB drive with 600gb free. Shadow copy on drive is set to unlimited. system vss writer goes unstable after job completes, reboot needed to bring it back online. Worked with Symantec support yesterday, but when vss went unstable I was told to contact MS. Tried to configure job serveral different way. This morning I created a new job, just backing up the C:\ and I will see what happens. I have the same setup at a couple different sites with no issues.

Roman_Lenarsic
Level 3
Partner

Hi

I had once similar problem with backup exec. With Symantec support we found that at the same time our customer run two different backup (backup exec and VMware Data Recovery backup).

For windows 2003 server we had also a lot of problems with VSS, but with windows 2008 server there is much better.

I hope you will find a solution.

Best regards,

Roman Lenarsic

Brian-O
Level 2
Partner Accredited

I created a new job and it completed but it gave me issues with AOFO opyion not being properly licensed. I sent that info back to Symantec support along with license keys purchased.

Thank you

Brian

CraigV

Hi Brian,

Might be worth reregistering the *.dlls of the VSS writers. Check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486

Thanks!

CraigV

...that's weird, considering AOFO hasn't needed to be licensed in a couple of versions now!

Consider an upgrade to BE 2010 R3 with SP2 as well...it's fixed a number of issues with previous versions.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As previously advised, you upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version. Your existing licence keys will work.  You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

After your upgrade, do not forget to run LiveUpdate a couple of time to update it to SP2 and the latest hotfixes.

After you have upgraded to R3, push out the remote agent again.