cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer has slow backup since SMB1 enabled on file servers

Mike_-_CSE
Level 2

Hi,

I've got a customer running BE15 with latest patches, on a 2012 R2 HyperV setup. Backup Server is physical, also 2012 R2, and everything is on a 10GbE connection.

Total size of the 2 VM's for file servers is around 630GB, which used to take around 1 day to complete, however we had to enable SMB1 in order to get some other software to work, and this has now almost tripled to around 3days. Can I account this change in speed solely to the SMB1 being enabled. The other SMB versions are still running.

If so, is there a way of telling BE to use a specific SMB version?

Regards

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have not heard of SMB playing a part in the VM backup and there is no parameter in BE which deals with SMB.  It could be that with all the SMB connections, the time taken to snapshot the VM goes up and this adds to the overall backup time.  You need to either consult MS or log a support case for Veritas to take a look at the problem.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have not heard of SMB playing a part in the VM backup and there is no parameter in BE which deals with SMB.  It could be that with all the SMB connections, the time taken to snapshot the VM goes up and this adds to the overall backup time.  You need to either consult MS or log a support case for Veritas to take a look at the problem.