cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAT 160

PaulCRA
Level 3
Hello

We've just installed an HP DAT 160 USB tape drive for one of our clients. However having a few problems with getting it working with Backup Exec 10 rev 5520.  The drive was picked up after a few restarts of all the backup exec services. However the drive type and media type for it are listed as ***. If I go to the drive properties and then the media types tab, it lists 4mm upto 4mm DDS4 (150m, 20GB). After this it just says 4mm (5), 4mm (6) and so on.  Also all tapes show as <unknown media>.

Can any one advise what media and drive type should be set and what the tapes should be set as? Is DAT160 even compatible with this version of Backup Exec?

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
To support HP USB tape drives

The Hewlett Packard HPDAT.SYS driver v1.5.3.1 (or higher) is required for use with Backup Exec for Windows Servers. Please contact HP to acquire this driver.

Also,  the DAT72 is the largest DAT driver listed on teh HCL

Have you tried the HP drivers rather than the Symantec?

PaulCRA
Level 3
Thanks. We had the latest HP drivers (v 1.6.0.0).  I've ended up completely ripping all the backup drives out of Windows and Backup Exec. Rebooting again and letting it completelty reinstall and reset the drives up and it now appears to work ok. It appears it won't pick up on the media type until you erase it fully.

HPuser667
Level 3
I am having this same problem but I don't want to completely rip out BE and start from scratch.  Is there another way to load the updated drive into the current installation?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if you run the latest BackupExec driver pack, it should overlay any existing drivers

if not

From the devices tab in BackupExec, right click the drive and select Delete

Check from windows device manager, and if it still shows, delete from there

boot the system

cancel any installs during the boot process, if you can

run the latest driver pack again

HPuser667
Level 3
I don't see how loading the driver pack is going to help this situation because Symantec doesn't provide drivers for USB tape devices. 

I have tried removing the drive from BE and from Device Manager and re-installing it but I can't seem to get BE to take the manufacturer's driver.