cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO Agent Install

Jiri_Kvarda
Level 3
Hello,
I have been trying to install DLO Agent on XP SP2 - running setup.exe from DLOAgent share. The server is version 5520 (with or without SP1).

However nothing happens except that bkupinst.log shows:

-----------
VERITAS Backup Exec (TM) 10.0 for Windows Servers Installation Log

Start time: 09-15-2005,13:21:37

09-15-2005,13:21:38 : ERROR: 2 - Failed to open MSI package \\Amazonan\DLOAgent\VERITAS Backup Exec For Windows Servers.msi
09-15-2005,13:21:38 : ERROR: Installation failed with error 2.
------------

But there is no "VERITAS Backup Exec For Windows Servers.msi" file in that folder. (I see only "VERITAS Backup Exec DLO Agent.msi" there.)
18 REPLIES 18

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Can you please explain the issue in a bit more detail.
Also the error message, can you tell us in more detail.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Please go through the following Article as reference:
Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers fails to install with the error message: "Windows Installer return error code: 1603 " in the bkupinst.log file on the remote machine.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/272082

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Jiri_Kvarda
Level 3
Hello,
thank you for the link. I have used the Windows Install Clean-Up, but there were not remains of Veritas software to remove.

I have two Backup Exec Servers 10 - both version 5520 (one with SP1). If I attach the shared folder DLOAgent and run the setup.exe on Windows XP SP2 it looks like nothing done. The only trace of this action are lines in bkupinst.log written in my original message. What I expect to be incorrect is the name of the package showed in the error line. There is MSI package in the DLOAgent folder, but with different name.

Thanks.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

What procedure are you following in order to install the agent? Make sure that you are following the procedure given below:

Title: How to install the Backup Exec Desktop and Laptop Option desktop agent
http://support.veritas.com/docs/264952

In case you are following the same procedure, yet the error persists, revert with details on the errors in the event logs (if any).

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Jiri_Kvarda
Level 3
Hello,
I follow the procedure mentioned above (264952).
I do steps 1 and 2. Then no apps window starts, there is no Welcome screen, there is no Next button to click.
The lines I wrote in my original message are the only lines in c:\windows\bkupinst.log.

Regards.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
What is the operating system on which you are installing the agent.
Do the following changes on the dlo workstation as per the technote below and try the installation.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/238618

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Jiri_Kvarda
Level 3
My operating systems are:
Servers with Backup Exec including DLO Administration: Windows Server 2003 SP1 English (member servers in Windows domain)
Domain controllers: Windows Server 2003 SP1 English
Clients I want to backup with DLO: Windows XP SP2 Czech

I looked at 238618. I tried to change the setting on the Backup Exec server to support Restrict Anonymous on NTFS. The problem stil occurs.
(238618 has no sense on the DLO workstation. There is no Veritas software, no Veritas key in registry before installing DLO Agent.)

Chris_Jacob
Level 3
I am seeing this exact same problem. I try to run the setup.exe program from the DLOAgent share on the media server and nothing appears to happen. Plus I do not see the install log in the temp directory.

I just upgraded the server from 10.0.5484 to 10.0.5520. I did not have this issue with 5484 and I'm running over a hundred clients. I even just grabbed the 5484 files from a backup and those still work fine.

My server is Windows 2003 SP1, clients are Windows XP SP2. Backup Exec 10.0.5520 SP1

Has anyone found a resolution to this problem?

I'll probably upgrade to 10.1 to see if that helps.

Chris Jacob

Jiri_Kvarda
Level 3
I have tried upgrade to 10.1 already. The problem still remains. My servers are also continuosly updated from 5484. I think the DLO agent install fails since 5484 RSP2 update.

Chris_Jacob
Level 3
Here's how I fixed it.

I saw in a different thread that a guy deleted his DLO agent install folder from the server. Then did a repair install which replaced the files. Sure enough, I can now install the agents again onto the clients. Something must have been left over in that DLO install folder after the first upgrade.

Jiri_Kvarda
Level 3
I did in a similar (but more complicated) way. Then I found, that teh problem are a few files not updated in DLOAgent directory:
becombinder.dll,
becomreg.exe,
becomutil.exe,
DLOBuildInfo.ini,
setup.exe
and not updated lines in setup.ini: ProductCode, ProductVersion, PackageCode.

So to the second I just copied these files and updated lines in setup.ini and it is working.

My solution for the future: Install new version of BE with DLO on some server, copy these files and lines and then unistall this auxiliary BE.

Same on Veritas support.

Jiri_Kvarda
Level 3
Typing error: Shame on Veritas support.

GuruNet_Support
Not applicable
Thanks for this workaround, but it's not really a solution. All this does is restore the old DLO Agent. I am not seeing any of the files listed at http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/279930.htm . The reason I updated to SP3 in the first place was to repair a problem we're having with DLO.

Besides, this "repair" didn't work for me. Yes, it restored the deleted DLO folder, but I still can't run Setup. I tried it 2 ways: running the SP3 update, and running a Repair from A/R Programs, but neither method helped. Thanx again.

Jiri_Kvarda
Level 3
Update the server to 5520d.
Install another (auxiliary) 5520d server with DLO Agent on a server where is no BE.
Copy a few files (and lines in ini) I mentioned in previous posts to DLO Agent directory on the working server.
You should have a working DLO Agent install at this point.
Unistall the auxililiary BE.

Jiri Kvarda

johan_holmstrom
Level 4
Hi all,
Found that if you do setup.exe install this will not work, but however, if you run the msi package this will work.

/johan

johan_holmstrom
Level 4
Found a new solution to this problem. From your BE server, open a cmd prompt, change path into DLO and run:
msiexec /j "VERITAS Backup Exec DLO Agent.msi" /t 1033.mst
Then, from you laptop/desktop browse to your BE server and run the msi package, it should now run without any error regarding language transformation pack.

Herv__Giauque
Level 3
Is this issue really answered ?

I'm having the same problem...

And I tried Johan's solution, but I got this error message :

ERROR 1925 : You do not have sufficient privilege to complete this installation for all users of the machine.
Log on as an administrator and then retry this installation

Nice... I'm already logged in administrator...
:\

johan_holmstrom
Level 4
Hi, you have to run the "msiexec /j..." from your laptop. I missed writing that. And after that run the MSI package installation.

Bruce_Musgrove
Level 3
try http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?forumID=103&threadID=58595