cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO Media Server connection failure

Alaska_Doug
Level 2
I have BEWS 11d and am trying to get DLO set up for 5 users.  I am getting 'Unable to connect to Media Server' error at the clients.  I have been through the V-139-52224-100 document and don't have any of the issues described.  The Media Server is running W2K3, SQL 2000 and is a DC.  The BE_DLO db exists on the server and is visible in enterprise manager.

I suspect that the problem may have to do with the setup.ini file and the 'dbloinstancename' parameter.  What would be the correct parameter for this type of installation?  Do you have any other suggestions for troubleshooting this error?
3 REPLIES 3

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Good morning Doug,

There may be a problem with the pointer to the DLO database. Please review the following Technote:
Even if Hotfix 2 hasn't been installed, verify that the lines in the setup.ini are pointing to the correct database location.

Let me know if that helps.

Regards,
Greg

Alaska_Doug
Level 2
Greg,
I had previously reviewed this Technote and made the changes to the setup.ini file as indicated.  Here are the current contents of the file:

[Startup]
packagename = Symantec Backup Exec Desktop Agent.msi
cmdline =/qf DEFAULTMEDIASERVER="sta-srv-1" DLODBINSTANCENAME="BKUPEXEC" LAUNCHCLIENT="1" /l*v
"%TEMP%\DLOAgentInstall.log"

I have tried the "bkupexec" and "bkupexecdlo" instance names but I find no references to these names on the SQL server.

Doug

Alaska_Doug
Level 2
Greg,
After installing the hotfix, I uninstalled and reinstalled the DLO option.  This generated a new setup.ini file with the correct instance name parameter, which in this situation was a null, represented by double quotes ("").

Once this was done, the client installation put the correct information in the registry and the clients connected to the database and storage location properly.

Doug