cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO locks Outlook 2007 Personal Folder

JayW
Level 4
Any way to stop the DLO agent from locking the PST file in Outlook 2007.  I have a user with a 2.73 GB PST file.  If the DLO is backing up the file it cannot be opened while using Outlook.  He will receive the following dialog:

"Cannot expand the folder. The set of folder cannot be opened. The file E:\outlook\Outlook.pst is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any application that is using the file, and then try again. You might need to restart your computer."

16 REPLIES 16

JayW
Level 4
So far I have found:

• The DLO will not backup the pst if Outlook is open.
  • Even if I close Outlook the DLO will not backup the PST file, reports that it is in use and will retry. 
  • If I open Outlook while the DLO is backing up the PST file then I cannot open the PST until the DLO is finished and I restart Outlook.

There has to be a solution to this. If our Symantec software was not already paid for I would dump this crap.

Message Edited by JayW on 05-15-2008 11:07 AM

Diane_Rutter
Level 3
I am also having problems with this.  What other problems have you seen?

Thanks,
Diane

JayW
Level 4
Every time I install the DLO on a client I have to manually edit the DefaultMediaServer in the registry.  The DLO install leaves this blank even though is states the name in the setup.ini in the install share. 

Every so often I have to also edit the DBInstance name as that will be wrong.

If I try to setup using the Setup.exe within the DLOAgent share I receive a MDAC error, but the .msi file works.

Diane_Rutter
Level 3
Thanks for your reply. 

I am evaluating DLO as a replacement for NetBackup Professional.  Do you have a large amount of clients?  If so is it difficult to keep track of the clients?  I would have about 9,000 and from what I am experiencing with just a small number of test users is that you have to look in several places to get information on a client. With a large amount that could be quite time consuming and confusing.

Also I have clients that have multiple pcs that need different permissions . Because DLO bases profiles on users instead of the pcs this will be a problem.  Have you encountered this?

Thanks

XJ37
Level 3
You can disable continous backups, setup backups to run according to a schedule, and you might want to setup the "logout/restart/shutdown options" to prompt/force backups when a user log off or shutdown.

JayW
Level 4
Not really a good idea with a 3 gb pst file.   Could take 30 mins for someone to logout. 

Symantec should maybe make sure thier software works before selling it.  I also think I should be refunded for all the time I have had to spend with thier tech support! 

Kelly_Harper
Level 4
We are experiencing similar issues and have been unable to resolve them since the beginning of this year.  I would absolutely LOVE to hear the solution if anyone runs across it:)

As it stands, we are investigating other products in this space so that we can replace DLO.

Robert_Dahlberg
Level 4
Similar issues here too. We have no solution yet. I think the problem lies in that pst:s are not constructed to be used on network-drives.

Mandar_Sahasrab
Level 4
Employee
Hello,

As far as my experience goes, we are not supposed to install DLO using msi file since the setup.exe seems to be internally using setup.ini file and msi to do the required installation. Out of curiosity, one day, I executed the msi file on command prompt and gave /help parameter to it and it popped up a dialog box showing various options. In a blink of thought, I opened up the setup.ini file and I could co-related the stuff in ini with the command line options for msi.

So if there is any MDAC error with setup.exe I believe you would have to resolve that rather than using the msi file without required parameters. I suspect this could be an MDAC (distributed by Microsoft) installation issue on the machine you are trying; as I never got MDAC error.

Hope this helps!

- WinCPP

MWarren
Not applicable

Hi all,

We were having the same issue here but after looking more closely at the settings on our backup server, we found that there was a global policy blocking incremental backups.  Once we allowed incremental backups of PSTs the issue was resolved and we started to see individual emails being backed up instead of the whole .pst.

-Matt

Jay_Carnes
Level 3

We have the same issue with Outlook 2003.  I've created profiles with the incremental backup of PSTs turned on and a profile where it's turned off.  It really depends on the size of the end users pst files. 

I wish there was a better stratgedy to back up users mail so it didn't impact them at all. 

Kelly_Harper
Level 4

Not to kick a dead horse but has anyone found a solution to this issue yet?  We have identified a replacement product so I thought I would double-check before moving forward with replacing DLO.

JayW
Level 4

I am curious, what are you going to use as a replacement?

Not much time left on our maintenance.  I am seriously thinking about getting rid of symantec.

Kelly_Harper
Level 4

I feel your pain Jay and as much as I would love to resolve this issue and continue using DLO, we need a product that reliably backs up our clients w/o impacting their ability to work.  We are working on a pilot of http://www.ironmountain.com/digital/pc/connected.asp.

DLO continues to plague many of our employees and is seriously impacting the performance of their overall system due to the hooks it has into Outlook.  It works for a lot of people but when you throw .pst files into the mix, it starts to get ugly.

Alessandro_Bert
Level 4

Open DLO Consolle, open Tools, Option, in Global Setting select Options, flag "Time to delay Destop Agent startup after users logs in". This prevent Agent from starting until the time you specified is passed. I use 600 seconds: I think ten minutes are enought to let user to login and open Outlook Smiley Wink 

Alessandro

sanjay_mundra
Level 2
Employee
Latest release NetBackup DLO 6.1 MP4 has resolved this issue of Outlook 2007 getting hang when DLO perfoms backup of PST file. There is a new method/option for PST backup which perfoms message level incremental backups to local cache and then periodic file level delta backups to network shares. You have to maintain one revision for the PST file in the Desktop User Data Folder (DUDF).