cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLT 80/160 Hardware Compression

Eric_Rintell
Level 2
I am running Backup Exec 11d (rev 7170) on Windows Server 2003 R2 x64. I am having a problem with my DLT 80/160 drive.  I have configured Backup Exec for compression type with "Hardware (if available, otherwise software)".  The problem is when the DLT tape reaches approximately 80Gb, Backup Exec ejects it and asks me to load another DLT tape.  Most of the files being backed up should be easily compressed and fit on one DLT tape.  Is there another setting that I missed?  How do I turn on compression in 11d on the 64-bit platform?  Thanks.
1 REPLY 1

Symantec_Empl1
Level 4
Hello Eric,

Thank you for using Symantec's online support.

The first things I would examine in this type of situation is the actual amount of data Backup Exec is reporting that's been written to the tape.

If it has written more than 80 GB of data, then most likely compression is being used.

On flip side, here are steps to make certain that the compression is enabled and working correctly:
  1. In Backup Exec, from the devices tab, right-click on the tape drive and select properties.
  2. Select the Configuration tab, and see if "Enable compression" is checked.
  3. In your backup job properties, under the General settings, verify that Hardware compression is used.
  4. Use the SGMON utility to verify that the backup job is enabling hardware compression. (http://support.veritas.com/docs/287385)
  5. Last of all, use the Windows Backup Utility to backup the same data and see if it is able to get more data written to the tape.