cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Restore from media no long in Tape Drive

Todd_Finoch
Level 3
I am trying to restore data from a tape that is no longer in my tape storage system. I specified the data that I wanted to restore and then ran the job. The Job tells me to insert the media into the tape portal. I do. Then backup exec keeps telling me to import the tape, but does not specify were. I think it should grab the media from the portal and then restore it. Can someone explain what is happening? Thanks Todd
3 REPLIES 3

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
after inserting the tape into the drive did you run an inventory job? Is the correct tape showing up under devices?

Todd_Finoch
Level 3
Keith,

I have not run an inventory job. I thought that since I already specified what data I wanted restored it would take the tape out of the portal and put it direclty into the drive. I did try importing the tape to it's original location in the robtic libary with no luck. So what your saying is I have to import the the tape to the correct slot and then run and inventory job?

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Well I'm not sure about the whole import thing, I've never had to use that function in all the time I've been using Backup Exec, but yes you probably will need to run an inventory job on the tape / library before it can work.

Look under Devices and see if the tape which you have inserted is currently showing up? If not then as far as Backup Exec is concerned you haven't inserted the tape and it will therefore prompt you to insert it. Until you tell Backup Exec to run an inventory job it won't check to see which tapes are available, and won't know that the one that it needs is already there ready for use.