cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data always to a next slot.

Shakeel_Ahmad
Level 3
Hi,

I have one question regarding backup strategy. My media server is connected with 21 slots LTO 3 Tape Autoloader. I have a total of 300 GB data to backup. I need the full data on per week basis and differential or incremental data daily on the new tape instead of writing the differential or incremental daily on the same tape.
Can any way help me out that how can I guide my library to backup the differential or incremental data on the next slot without checking that the space is still available in the currently using tape cartridge.

Thanks,
Shakeel
7 REPLIES 7

Ricardo_Pistari
Level 5
You need to use media sets with overwrite and append periods, in such a way that on tuesday, monday tape is not appendable, and so on.

For example, If you set "append period" to "12 hours", and your backups begins daily at 20hrs, the tape you use on monday will allow appends only until Tuesday 08am...
At the begining of the backups on Tuesday, the "monday tape" will not be used.

Ricardo_Pistari
Level 5
You can also partition your library and then point your jobs to those partitions; but this approach is not so safe, cause you can make a mistake loading your library (ie, put monday tape on "sunday" slot). Using media sets, you didnt have to take care where you put your tapes, always the right one will be mounted.

Shakeel_Ahmad
Level 3
Hi Ricardo,

I have seen that after setting my "daily media" wrtite protected time to 5 days and append time to 15 hours. I cannot append to another tape on the next day. In the daily media I have 5 tapes inside it. And it is showing me the protected period of 5 days and appendable period Not appendable. Do you have any idea what could be the reason of this?

Thanks,
Shakeel

Ricardo_Pistari
Level 5
did you assign all the tapes to the media set ?
if you do that, the append time and overwrite prot begins.

When I was configuring that stuff... I create media sets, but erase all the tapes, so all of them was appendable. Then, after the job picks one of them, that tape is moved onto that media set and then, append / overwrites begins

Shakeel_Ahmad
Level 3
Hi Ricardo,

I am sorry I did not get you here. What do u mean by "erase all the tapes". I also did erase the tapes. But u know those tapes will work according to the configuration of the Media Set. And from where the job picks one of them and how it will pick.
If you have any support weblink can you please send it to me.

Thanks,
Shakeel

Ricardo_Pistari
Level 5
I begin with scratch media... at the first run (suppose, monday), job will use one of those scratch, and move it to the right media set.

on tuesday, you'll have 1 tape at media set (not appendable, cause append time was expired), and some scratch media. Again, job will pick one of those scratch and after writing it, it will be moved to the media set. And so on...

Shakeel_Ahmad
Level 3
Hi Ricardo,

It worked now in this way.

Thank you.
Shakeel