cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Errors

Kevin_Corbin
Level 3
Each morning I get the Event ID 57348.
The description for Event ID ( 57348 ) in Source ( Backup Exec ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Backup Exec Alert: Database Maintenance Failure
(Server: "WGWSRV3") (Job: "Database Maintenance") Summary of database maintenance activity:

* Saved contents of BEDB database
* Deleted expired data for BEDB database:
0 expired reports were deleted
0 expired job histories were deleted
0 expired alert histories were deleted
2 expired job logs were deleted

Maintenance has failed: 13, Shrink database failed
Total elapsed time: 00:00:03.

I have changed the time of database maintenance to not coincide with the backup. I have also repaired, compacted, repaired indices, etc. The repair runs without incident and completes successfully but does not solve the problem. The others fail and cannot shrink the database.

Also, whenever I restart the BACKUPEXEC services I get 3 other events starting with:

EVENT ID: 17052
Error: 823, Severity: 24, State: 2
I/O error (bad page ID) detected during read at offset 0x00000000142000 in file 'C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEDB_Dat.mdf'.

EVENT ID: 33152 (I get this one twice)
Adamm Database Error: Connection Lost!
Error = E_PVL_DB_LOST_CONNECTION
Server = "WGWSRV3"
Active Node = ""
Instance = "BkupExec"
Database = "BEDB"

Backups appear to run successfully. Any help would be appreciated
12 REPLIES 12

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Difficult question, it might be that there is something wrong with your BE database, so you might try to dump and reload it. See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268315.htm

But you also mention that BE cannot find some dll and its apropriate registry entries, you might try to repair your BE installation. See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/253199.htm

Regards
A van der Boom

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please run a database consistency and verify whether it completes without any errors.

Please refer to the foll technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/268340

Also we request you to verify the database schedule time again.

Please update us.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Thanks,

Kevin_Corbin
Level 3
Sorry, not to get back to this sooner. I ran the consistency check and it failed. The message is listed below:

Starting database utility operation.
Performing database consistency check for BEDB database.
Error: The check of the database failed.
Database utility for server WGWSRV3 ended with errors.

KC

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

Perform a database repair operation using the database operation.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Kevin_Corbin
Level 3
The database repair appears to run successfully:

Starting database repair.
Stopping Services
Stopping services for server:WGWSRV3.
Server:WGWSRV3, Service:BackupExecJobEngine stopped successfully or was not running.
Server:WGWSRV3, Service:BackupExecRPCService stopped successfully or was not running.
Server:WGWSRV3, Service:BackupExecDeviceMediaService stopped successfully or was not running.
Stopping services for server WGWSRV3 completed.
Performing repair for BEDB database.
Starting Services
Starting services for server:WGWSRV3.
Server:WGWSRV3, Service:BackupExecDeviceMediaService started successfully.
Server:WGWSRV3, Service:BackupExecRPCService started successfully.
Server:WGWSRV3, Service:BackupExecJobEngine started successfully.
Starting services for server WGWSRV3 completed.
Database repair for server WGWSRV3 completed.

However, we continue to get the database errors.

KC

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

The Backup Exec v9.0 installation program installs Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000). Backup Exec stores the database in SQL database format. The Backup Exec database maintains a record of files and data you have configured such as templates, catalogs, and etc. Database maintenance performs the following:

- Optimize database size
- Delete expired data
- Save the contents of the database files
- Perform a database consistency check

Change the scheduled time of Backup Exec database Maintenance.

Go to Tools | Options | Settings | Database Maintenance.
Default time is 4:00 AM

As the database consistancy check fails, what is the exact error message?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Kevin_Corbin
Level 3
I had already changed the database maintenance time. Listed below is the results of the nightly database maintence:

* Saved contents of BEDB database
* Deleted expired data for BEDB database:
0 expired reports were deleted
1 expired job histories were deleted
2 expired alert histories were deleted
1 expired job logs were deleted

Maintenance has failed: 13, Shrink database failed
Total elapsed time: 00:00:03

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Kevin,

It seems you had tried to repair the database as well as change the maintenence time, yet the problem persists.

Have you tried to repair the installation of backup exec as suggested in one of the posts earlier? If not, you can try it from the following link:

Title: Repairing Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

If the problem persists, try creating a new database and test the results. Note that you will have to recreat all the jobs etc.. from scratch. Here is the link:

Title: How to create a new SQL database in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 when the original database is corrupt and cannot be repaired
http://support.veritas.com/docs/254014

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, revert wtih details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Kevin_Corbin
Level 3
I performed both of the recommended procedures. Neither fixed the problem. The repair install went without any incidents, it just didn't fix the problem when completed. The Database recover would not complete. It would report database errors:

Starting database recovery.
Stopping Services
Stopping services for server:WGWSRV3.
Server:WGWSRV3, Service:BackupExecJobEngine stopped successfully or was not running.
Server:WGWSRV3, Service:BackupExecRPCService stopped successfully or was not running.
Server:WGWSRV3, Service:BackupExecDeviceMediaService stopped successfully or was not running.
Stopping services for server WGWSRV3 completed.
Performing database recovery for BEDB database.
Error: The check of the database failed.
Database recovery for server WGWSRV3 ended with errors.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please find a blank database attached with this mail.

Perform a fresh database install by following the steps given below.
Stop all Backup Exec services
Stop MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service

Rename the existing BEDB_dat.bak file to BEDB_dat.old

Copy the to the VERITAS\Backup exec\NT\Data folder
Start all the Backup Exec services and MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service

Run BEUTILITY
Right click on server name
Select Recover database
Drop existing database and reload from base

Verify that all Backup Exec services are started, if not start them.

Thanks.

Stephen_Sykes
Level 2
I have just started seeing the same error (Event ID 57348) this week. I also get an email saying that the "database maintenance has failed: 13 Shrink database failed".

Unlike Kevin though, I do not get any errors when I restart the BE services. My backups still seem to complete successfully, so I'm wondering if I should just leave it alone. When I run a DB consistency check it seems to complete sucessfully.

Any suggestions or solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

Stephen_Sykes
Level 2
Well I didn't have the problem last night after I manually ran the Compact Database function and the consistency checker in BEutility. Maybe all is well.