cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database "Exclusions" within Incremental Job (Trans Log Backup)

ironclad86
Level 3

Hi,

How is it possible to exclude a certain database in an incremental backup without excluding it from the global "full" backup?

In the Path field I included MSSQLSERVER and the name field includes the database (reportsdb) I need to exclude from the incremental backup (thought it should still be included in the full backup).  It appears it still attempts to back it up in the incremental. 

Thanks for any advice.

P.S. I am attempting to exclude the database from the incremental transaction log because I receive the following exception:

Backup- AB-ROADS-SQL2.constco.com\MSSQLSERVER
V-79-57344-33960 - A log backup was attempted on database reports that is not configured to support ...

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot do this with BE 2012.  BE 2012 make sure that you use the same selection list for both the full, log and incremental backups.

You would have to define 2 jobs to backup your SQL databases; one for those databases that requires a log backup and one for those who do not need a log backup.  In any case, you need 2 backups because databases like Master use simple recovery mode and do not need log backup to truncate their logs.

ironclad86
Level 3

The feature just simpily doesn't work and BE needs to fix it.  The "Exclusions" option in the Backup Options is shown but doesn't work.  The incremental job called "transaction log" is configured to exclude everything except for 10 database's but it still includes all resources.  What a simple function that lacks Credibility.

ironclad86
Level 3

I have created an additional backup set called Transaction Logs with a full and incremental job type.  I have selected just the database's with Full Recovery Model and ran a full backup with no reoccurrence scheduled.  The incremental job kick off every 2 hours to grab the transaction logs.  The other existing backup set that was previously configured is a daily-full-deduplication, and now has no log-incremental backup since the "exclusions" option didn't exclude.

I still don't understand why the exclusions option, within the backup options,  wouldn't exclude.  I wonder if in SP1 if "exclusions" is fixed.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am not sure what exclusion feature that you are talking about, but if you are talking about the exclusion feature in the selection list, then it applies to the whole job, not just the log backup.

merlin66
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi ironclad86,

you're right, exclusion for TranactionLogs do not work, please post if you've fond a way.

@pkh: you can set an exclusion olso at job-level, until BE 2010 I did this at the JobDefinition in my policies.