cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

De-install BackupExec on Vista fails

Geoff_Vane1
Level 3
Some time ago I tried to install an older version of BackupExec on my Vista laptop, to check compatibility.
I continued installation, even after some warnings.
At the end it did not work and the installation could not be completed.
However, since this day my laptop is poluted with a crippled Backupexec installer.
Every time the laptop starts up, a windows installer appears.
The installer starts some SQL module and then crashes/ends.
I can't de-install this dreaded installer or prevent it from startup, same goes for the SQL module.
Can someone please tell me how to get rid of this Backupexec installer leftover?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Geoff_Vane1
Level 3
I ran the recommended uninstaller again.
Then I found a "SQL Microsoft (Backupexec)" entry in the list of installed program in the control panel, that was not there before.
I uninstalled that item.
Then I typed "cmd" in the vista start menu search field, wich appears when you click the large start icon.
The CMD function started. Then I typed "regedit" to start the registry editor.
In the list HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE I found a folder Veritas. I deleted the entire folder.
This was a real old BackupExec failed instal. Incompatible with Vista and it never installed fully.
These were the only remaining parts that caused the windows installer to appear at every startup.
Everything is O.K. now, no more installer to be found.
I thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
In your case, I would find Microsoft's MSI installer cleanup utility here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301. Run it, and see if this clears up your problem.

Geoff_Vane1
Level 3
I used the utility you recommended.
Nothing happened, no effect.

I want to thank you for at least trying to help me.
Maybe you have another trick up your sleeve?
Let me know!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287320.htm

I've used this before to good effect. The same should hold true of removing it from Vista.

Geoff_Vane1
Level 3
I ran the recommended uninstaller again.
Then I found a "SQL Microsoft (Backupexec)" entry in the list of installed program in the control panel, that was not there before.
I uninstalled that item.
Then I typed "cmd" in the vista start menu search field, wich appears when you click the large start icon.
The CMD function started. Then I typed "regedit" to start the registry editor.
In the list HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE I found a folder Veritas. I deleted the entire folder.
This was a real old BackupExec failed instal. Incompatible with Vista and it never installed fully.
These were the only remaining parts that caused the windows installer to appear at every startup.
Everything is O.K. now, no more installer to be found.
I thank you for your help.