cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dedupe Folder - Undiscovered

dgrove12
Level 3

Did you anyone figure out the issue with the dedupe folder being in an undiscovered state?  I'm not using iSCSI, so it's not related to that.  No errors in the event log.  Rebooted... restarted services... re-added with a new path/volume... still nothing.  What's the secret here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dgrove12
Level 3

Turned out to be a password character issue.  Resolved.  My only other question is regarding full vs. differential backups.  We currently do one full and 4 diffs per week.  When you throw deduplication in the mix, doesn't the need for diffs go out the window?  If it's deduplicating the data client-side, it's only going to send those changed blocks anyway... right?  Trying to get my brain around this...  thoughts?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello 

Refer to the below articles.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127821

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135492

Also upgrade to BE2010 R2 if you are using BE2010

dgrove12
Level 3

I'm on R2 x64 now.  I will take a look at the articles you posted.  Thanks.

AmolB

Also make sure all 5 updates have been installed for R2

dgrove12
Level 3

I have no updates for R2 currently installed but when I goto LiveUpdate, only one is displayed.  Do these 5 updates need to be manually downloaded and installed?

AmolB

After installing the 1st update again run live update it will show the next 4 updates.

dgrove12
Level 3

Ugh... I have to udpate the agents after this.  Not cool.  Thanks for your suggestions.

AmolB

Well you need to push out updates to the agents, it won't ask for reboot.

dgrove12
Level 3

Bonus.  Thanks again.

dgrove12
Level 3

Turned out to be a password character issue.  Resolved.  My only other question is regarding full vs. differential backups.  We currently do one full and 4 diffs per week.  When you throw deduplication in the mix, doesn't the need for diffs go out the window?  If it's deduplicating the data client-side, it's only going to send those changed blocks anyway... right?  Trying to get my brain around this...  thoughts?

teiva-boy
Level 6

Keep it as is with your normal rotation.  

Yes deduplication muddies the water a bit, but keep in mind there is a dedupe database, to catalog all the segments that get scanned to see if there is any new unique data to backup or skip over.  If you did FULL's all the time, the dedupe database would grow abnormally faster than designed.  

The Dedupe database in Symantec's eye will grow at a rate of 6-7% per TB of deduped data, this I figure is based on a normal FULL and typical incr/diff policy.  It could grow to 10% if you did FULL's all day every day.

AmolB

If it's deduplicating the data client-side, it's only going to send those changed blocks anyway... right?

The first backup job of the resource will  backup all the files but once you run

subsequent backup of the same resource only the changed data will be backed up.