Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication Storage percent in use

loganjf
Level 3

Setup : Windows 2008 R2 SP1 CASO and MS running Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP2

2 Dedupe pools attached via iSCSI

We have two deduplication pools that are both heavily utilised. The first one is at 81% usage and the second is around 70% usage.

My question is at what percentage should we class them as full ? I know from using Avamar (EMC) that 65% is classed as full and this is the stage where more storage needs to be added otherwise certain cleanup tasks may not run effectively.

I have already checked online and cannot find any mention of this at all.

Regards,

Jon Logan

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

Technically it's 80% is when the avamar console warns you, 85% is when bad things start to happen.  The 65% number is I thin kwhen factoring in the OS binaries, etc.  Where as the 85%+ number is based on the actual usable space of the data store.  But that is not what this is about....

In the old PureDisk days, it's capacity was 65% I believe.  But since being ported to Windows, and the PureDisk builds changing over time, it has gone up.  That said, I wouldn't get it over 85% myself.  Symantec didn't make THAT many improvements to the PureDisk binaries to trust them fully.

View solution in original post

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

These are the default %s ~

Low disk space - 25% free

Low disk space warning - 15% free

Low disk space critical - 5% free

Ofcourse, you can set customized limits (preferably a bit higher), but these are the default values.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6

Technically it's 80% is when the avamar console warns you, 85% is when bad things start to happen.  The 65% number is I thin kwhen factoring in the OS binaries, etc.  Where as the 85%+ number is based on the actual usable space of the data store.  But that is not what this is about....

In the old PureDisk days, it's capacity was 65% I believe.  But since being ported to Windows, and the PureDisk builds changing over time, it has gone up.  That said, I wouldn't get it over 85% myself.  Symantec didn't make THAT many improvements to the PureDisk binaries to trust them fully.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

These are the default %s ~

Low disk space - 25% free

Low disk space warning - 15% free

Low disk space critical - 5% free

Ofcourse, you can set customized limits (preferably a bit higher), but these are the default values.

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Please have a look at the article below hope this answers your question http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73711