cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication Store Size

unarcher
Level 4

Hi

I am actually using a disk array to provide a 12,5 TB disk to my backup exex 2012 server.

This space is used as a deduplication volume.

I need to extend size of this volume. I bought a few more disks to increase size up to 17,5 TB but I encounter the following problem.

Block size of my Windows Volume is 4096 and so I would not be able to go higher than 16 TB for volume size.

How could I change block size ? I heard that the only way is to format partition (and thereby losing all my backup data)

If this is mandatory, how could I transfer all data to another storage location and get it back for BackupExec to use again after transfer on new location?

4 REPLIES 4

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello Unarcher,

As far as I know, changing the block size MAY require you to format the volume. 

If you are planning to move the Deduplication folder to a different volume then you might want to refer to the following article: 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH160832

teiva-boy
Level 6

This is a Windows limitation but also found in many other file systems like VMFS.  That block size needs to be planned out BEFORE actually doing it.  So as to set it correctly the first time...

That said, you would have to make a copy or clone of your volume (Not sure if you have a SAN or not?)  Then reformat using the larger block size.

I almost ALWAYS recommend 64k block sizes for any installation of Windows...  I think MS got out of the business of 4k block sizes..  It's the worst.

Note there are probably 3rd party tools that can convert it for you without blowing away the partition.  Some sort of partition tool.  But there is always the caveat that you should make a backup of the filesystem before the conversion anyways.  So just do it the manual method...

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I think you can change the block size without formating the volume using Acronis Disk Director. however not sure about the same

teiva-boy
Level 6

The old Partition Magic that Symantec happily killed off could do it.  I'm sure Acronis can do it, they made a business out of filling the void of products Symantec killed off.

But again, if you have to buy a tool that can do it online, but you should make a backup of the data before running said tool.  The only value is that it's an online conversion.  Is that worth hundreds or a thousand dollars for a single license to use only once?