cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting .bkf Files

boydfish
Level 3

I have BE 2010 R3 running my regime and the 'Backup' Drive is down to 43Gb of free space. A check shows that there are numerous .bkf files whihc I believe are the catalogues. However many of these are over a month old (or even more). Should these not be removed during the reclamation jobs and, if not, can I safely delete these over a month old?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you want to delete .bkf, then go to the Media tab and check which ones are overwriteable, i.e. the information in them are no longer required.  These are marked in blue.  You then delete them by

1) right-click and associating them with the retire media set

2) right-click and delete them.  This delete them from BE.

3) physically delete them from your harddisk.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The BKF files hold your backup data in the same way that a tape does so they should ONLY be removed when you don't need the data they contain.

Your catalog files are in the catalogs folder and will have .fh and .xml extensions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

BKF files hold the data that has been  backed up.  Catalog information is in the \Catalogs folder

You can manage how long data (BKF files) are retained by using The OPP of your various media sets, and by setting the option to use overwriteable media in the target media set  before scratch media from Tools\Options\Media Management

For example if you want to keep daily data for a week and weekly data for 6 months, set the OPP of your daily media set to 6 days and the OPP of your weekly media set to 180 days

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you want to delete .bkf, then go to the Media tab and check which ones are overwriteable, i.e. the information in them are no longer required.  These are marked in blue.  You then delete them by

1) right-click and associating them with the retire media set

2) right-click and delete them.  This delete them from BE.

3) physically delete them from your harddisk.

InSixDays
Level 4

How do you do this in 2012?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Post this question as another discussion and I will let you know.

InSixDays
Level 4

Done, I look forward to your answer.